Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    greetings,
    i'm trying to get a streaming mp3 to play from my website by linking to an m3u file that points to the mp3. i create the m3u file correctly and if i open it from my hard drive it opens up an appropriate program (winamp, realplayer, windows media player), finds the mp3 at its online location and starts playing it. however, when i put the same m3u file online and click on the link to open it, all it does is open the program (winamp or reaplayer etc.) but doesn't find the mp3 and doesn't play it. if i download the m3u file from my website onto my hard disk and open it from there it works fine, but it won't work correctly if i open it from the web. also, if i type in the link to the mp3 file directly in winamp or realplayer, it finds the file and plays it fine. so i know the m3u file points to the right location and the mp3 file is where it's supposed to be, but something is still wrong. what's the problem, someone please help me because it's driving me crazy. the url is www.parismav.com/audio.htm . thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    In order to stream media content over the web, you need a streaming media server. There are two popular such applications: Windows Media Server and Real Server. You should check if your webhost offers such services - they're expensive to license and maintain, so they might not offer them.

Once you've got your media server set up, you need to follow the directions (each is different) for configuring your media for streaming. You can't just place the file in a public folder, because anyone could then access it directly. That would violate the stream model. Read up on the technology a little to find out more:

[searchweb]Configure Windows Media Server[/searchweb]
    [searchweb]Configure Real Server[/searchweb]

Remove Ads