Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    i'm trying to figure out the easiest way to have a page show text from a data file, with a place on the page for viewers to post their own comment, which gets added to the data file.. I'm sure its a super easy thing, i just havnt used something like it before any ideas?
    The Temple of Dagon | Dagon Design
    "That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die." - HPL

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    [searchweb]php xml feedback form[/searchweb]

Member #
    pretty much every feedback form i find info on, just explains how to use sendmail to send the text to you.. thats why i couldnt figure out how to do the way i mentioned above.
    "That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die." - HPL

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I see... well you're going to have to find something that uses PHP (or some other server-side language) in combination with XML or some sort of flat file.

Let me search and see what I can find.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Why not use a database instead of a data file? It will go faster and would only bbe a few lines of code instead of a long script.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    He might not have a database server... besides which... a text-based file is more transportable, easier to back up, and speed doesn't make any difference on a feedback form (you're talking maybe 10-20 posts per DAY). Databases are meant to handle HUNDREDS to THOUSANDS of transactions per SECOND.

Member #
    I got it going.. thanks anyway!
    and btw yes i do have mysql access, and considered that, but it seemed way to involved for such a little thing.. i finally realized the tag board i use on my page could be modified a bit, and thats what im using now for quote submissions it works well.

www.templeofdagon.com

tag board is on main page..
    quotes are in quotes section.

edit: i realize it may not be the best idea to let just anyone submit quotes, but oh well i certainly didnt want any sort of logon.. just something simple...

Remove Ads