Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hey there. So I wanna make a gaming ladder site that looks something close to, but much cooler than this, and I don't quite know what to do or where to start. I've looked into getting a gaming ladder script, but some cost money and I wanna choose one that has that special "oomf" to it, if you get me. I want to create a community, have forums, ladders, a cool logo, I want a design that really draws players in and addicts them, I want there to be bad mouthing and finger pointing and gossip and heroes and legends and losers and hated ones and all of the drama that one could imagine existing in a thriving gaming community. I want there to be announcements and admins and moderators and glorious amounts of members. I wanna link it to facebook and twitter and I want there to be a way for members to send money. And I would love it of course, if all of this could be achieved with very minimal cost.

Can anyone help me and/or know anything about how to do this?

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    Depends on how much you know. If you have no idea how to build a site - hire a designer. You'd have to master heck of a lot to build a site like that, especially if you want it to be better than the pre-existing ones.
    My freelancer website: DolidzeDesign

You only need a parachute if you plan on skydiving twice.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by George Dolidze, post: 217297
    Depends on how much you know. If you have no idea how to build a site - hire a designer. You'd have to master heck of a lot to build a site like that, especially if you want it to be better than the pre-existing ones.
    OK - George is channeling theGame...
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    Keeping his spirit in WDF
    AlphaMare likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by George Dolidze, post: 217302
    Keeping his spirit in WDF
    Yeah, I can feel him haunting us...
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Most of us do know here can probably throw one of those together easily. Problem is, you probably can't afford even the cheapest of our rates.

I saw a lot of " I wanna", in your post, but the fact that you haven't tried even the basics means you know little or nothing about how this all ties together.

Everything you " want " has already been done... There are scripts out there that can do everything, but you've gotta put then together. If there is a gaming ladder script, I suggest you buy it. Then take the time to learn to tweak and modify it. The "oomph " will cost you extra as everyones idea of that is different and it will take a lot of time to figure out what your idea of it is.

As for cost, do you think hosting and bandwidth are cheap? For your dream site with hundreds if not thousands of users, expect to pay between $200 and a thousand dollars a month just for hosting and bandwidth, not counting marketing ( how do you expect to get users to come to the site without a marketing plan )? That's probably another 500 to a thousand a month to keep growing your site.

Sure you might find some mods and admins to manage the site for you for minimal cost, but kinda doubt it ( at least not at first )... So expect to pay someone to keep an eye on it for you ( if you're too busy )...

And all the above is ONLY if the site is successful and grows a certain amount each month... If it doesn't ..... All that money for ???

Good luck

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    To be honest with you I don't much about gaming script, but I do know a little bit about website design.

1.First thing first you want to find a RELIABLE web host, buy some hosting and domain names.
    2. Next (thinking like a designer) I would design the logo, because the logo can control the look and the feel of the site. You really want to put some time in this. Some sites are so poorly designed they don't really try to develop a color scheme that is consistent or compliments the logo.
    3. Then, with my new logo and some other content in hand, I would develop a mock-up of the site (a basic rough draft of the website in photoshop that shows layout).
    4. From there I would begin to write the code/programming.

I don't know how much you really know about this, but you could hire a freelancer to do the programing on sites like elance.com. Kind of farm it out ya know. No one is going to design something of that caliber for nothing, but they might on a freelance site like that. One thing that you need to to before you do anything is that you need to develop your content, ie. graphics. Go ahead and plan out how you want the site to be organized. Organization is key when creating a user friendly site. You could also look into allowing sites to advertise on yours and this could cut down your overhead.

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    Forum software + gaming ladder mod should do it. Check out www.XenForo.com (this forum uses it), www.vBulletin.com (I prefer vB 3.8.x over the new 4.1.x), or http://www.invisionpower.com/
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Alright so I really know nothing about programming or code, and I know nothing about finding a web host BUT I do know about design and I think I would be able to take my vision and put it on paper. I would wanna design the homepage and everything my own way, making it not too out of this world, and then send it off to a freelancer.

Do people do this? Can you just create a portfolio of the graphic/artistic design of the site and then give it to somebody to make happen?

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivean, post: 217369
    Alright so I really know nothing about programming or code, and I know nothing about finding a web host BUT I do know about design and I think I would be able to take my vision and put it on paper. I would wanna design the homepage and everything my own way, making it not too out of this world, and then send it off to a freelancer.

Do people do this? Can you just create a portfolio of the graphic/artistic design of the site and then give it to somebody to make happen?
    Yes you can

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads