Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm not sure if the design of my columns and divs makes a difference, but is it possible to keep the left and right column areas even in height no matter how much content (or how little content) I put into either column?

Here's my link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41744567/irt...ltemplate.html

Noosa, Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Yes you can use java script. I found a script that keeps the column length equal no matter what content is within each area

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by surfbouy, post: 223263
    Yes you can use java script. I found a script that keeps the column length equal no matter what content is within each area
    I've heard about using Javascript, however this template is for a client who wants to use it for an e-newsletter (thus, clients will receive this e-newsletter through different e-mail clients).

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    HTML newsletters are the last bastion of HTML tables, and most often they are nested tables.
    All the code has to be on the one page, including the CSS, so they are laid out as tables with inline CSS.
    For this, a template that has been tried and proven will shorten your development time and help ensure that the e-newsletter won't break in any of the (way too( many e-mail clients. you can get some good free ones here (the download link is at the bottom of the page).
    Luckily for you, the layout in your link above will translate well into tables.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare, post: 223433
    HTML newsletters are the last bastion of HTML tables, and most often they are nested tables.
    All the code has to be on the one page, including the CSS, so they are laid out as tables with inline CSS.
    For this, a template that has been tried and proven will shorten your development time and help ensure that the e-newsletter won't break in any of the (way too( many e-mail clients. you can get some good free ones here (the download link is at the bottom of the page).
    Luckily for you, the layout in your link above will translate well into tables.
    Are you suggesting I add all my divs within a table? Would this solve the issue of keeping my left and right columns of even height despite the content changing?

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by frabjousday, post: 223484
    Are you suggesting I add all my divs within a table? Would this solve the issue of keeping my left and right columns of even height despite the content changing?
    No - I think you're going to have to recode and just use tables, not divs.
    check this out: http://www.onextrapixel.com/2011/10/...sletter-email/

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare, post: 223488
    No - I think you're going to have to recode and just use tables, not divs.
    check this out: http://www.onextrapixel.com/2011/10/...sletter-email/
    Thank you for the advice, AlphaMare. That article would've been helpful much earlier haha so yes, I appreciate it. Would you think this would solve my issue of keeping the columns even despite the amount of content put in either column, however?

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by frabjousday, post: 223611
    Thank you for the advice, AlphaMare. That article would've been helpful much earlier haha so yes, I appreciate it. Would you think this would solve my issue of keeping the columns even despite the amount of content put in either column, however?
    Yes it would, because you can nest tables, specify the height of individual cells, and merge cells.
    This may be one of the only arguments for using Dreamweaver in design view that I can think of.

Remove Ads