Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Well everyone, I've been searching Google, Bing, and the site here and I can't seem to find anything about this - but I know it's possible, because I've seen it used...

I'm trying to pull an RSS feed and display it on my site...which is easy enough, I have no problem doing that - BUT what I'm struggling with is adding pictures to that...for a reference, look at MSN.com. Is there a way to do that? I know I can create a photo slideshow...and I know I can create a simple RSS feed...but is there some way to put those together?

halp!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You put images into an RSS feed the same way you put images on a web page. It's the exact same code.

Now, you're going to have some issues in that email clients with RSS readers incorporated won't necessarily display your images (e.g. Outlook 2003 or later). But you'll get at least some of your images loaded, and that's better than you have now, right?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Bear with me here, I'm still a little green....

I'm not sure WHERE my image codes would go...

I'll copy and paste my script that I'm using for my RSS feed, if that helps...

<script type="text/javascript">
    var cssfeed=new gfeedfetcher("example1", "example1class", "")
    cssfeed.addFeed("SW:TOR", "http://www.swtor.com/feed/news/all")
    cssfeed.displayoptions("datetime snippet")
    cssfeed.setentrycontainer("p")
    cssfeed.filterfeed(10, "title")
    cssfeed.init()
    </script>

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Oh, I thought you were CREATING a feed, not READING one.

I personally wouldn't even use a Javascript to retrieve a feed. I'd go with using a server-side programming language, retrieving the feed, and then manipulating the feed once I got it. This would allow me to read the feed, remove anything invalid, and add in my images as I see fit.

How you do that will depend on the server-side language used, though.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    ahh...err..like PHP?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Yep. PHP's an example. I'd go with VB.NET personally for this because they have some awesome XML handling classes, but that's just me.

Remove Ads