Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    I found a template last night that was quite a ways off from what Iwant and worked with the CSS sheet and the index sheet and got it close, but I am having problems getting my dividers etc to show up and my boxes in the correct place. if I can get those little problems fixed I think I will be good to go.

let me get a screenshot of it and put the file up on my site so if anyone can help me then they can look at the coding and see whats wrong. like I said I know very basic HTML but i am smart enough to start manipulating things and seeing what i screw up and how it affects it and then use that knowledge to make changes. lol you should have seen what this site looked like before I trashed it you cant tell it is from the same template. Now if I can only understand what I am doing.

Joe

mysite1.jpg

Member #
    heres where I have it so far. I have the dividers 3 of them i want showing but they arent showing and there is supposed to be another tan text box in the middle and i dont know where to change that white background if I want to later on, and finally you can see the 2 tan boxes dont line up but I have them both set to the same location and i dont know why they arent.

thats the small stuff that is left and then It is ready to go.

my other question is they have a style sheet for a couple internet explorers do I have to have one also for smart phone stuff?

Also when I make my other pages do they just use the same style sheet as the main page or do I have to make a seperate one for each page? (that will be my downfall as I dont know anything abt style sheets I just edited the main one lol)

I have uploaded the source files for my website I messed around with paintshop pro here and make it look exactly how I am wanting it to end up as final version so it will help others see what I am trying to do

http://www.proflooney.net/proflooneywebsite.rar

mysite2.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Not trying to be mean so please understand and please put on your hard hat and eye pro and maybe your bullet proof vest.

This isn't 1991, you're website needs a lot of update and work to make it look "current" they're good pictures if you made those. But you need to make the website current. The title is hard to read, almost unreadable, the navigation, is some weird colors and also looks like its arpanet style (kidding) but really you need to look into current web design websites for inspiration and see how they do it. Check out themeforest, and some other websites that show portfolios and websites that use the newest standards and make CSS/jQuery into an art. The font is also not a great choice read about Typography. And learn about color pallets and choosing a good background. Lighting background kinda died when Y2K died. Lists with a list-style like that, isn't used anymore especially in the way you used it, try an h4. Throw some padding into those paragraphs, and try some line-spacing, and a new font too; Tahoma is popular nowadays, but go look at google fonts. I personally love Tahoma. But get readable fonts, wacky colors aren't readable and when your eyes want to throw up from looking at it for just a few seconds, it isn't good. Layout isn't bad I will give you that. Its a common layout and i'd keep it. So work on the color, the html, the way you use specific tags the header needs a lot of work.

I am going to give you 5 bad 5 good, I'm going to use terms that you can google and it will give you a good idea on how to fix it just read up on each subject.
    So 5 Bad:
    1. Typography
    2. CSS3 Backgrounds
    3. Colors
    4. Navigation
    5. Image borders / Footer

The 5 Good:
    1. Layout (I like it)
    2. Asking Questions (I know its not about your website but you have a lot to work on)
    3. Content
    4. That you let people see it like this
    5. HIGH FIVE

This is a good first try keep going and learning, work on your site, I'd change a lot of what you did. You have a good idea here.

Now to answer some of your questions, you can take off your protective equipment now. Yes you have different style sheets for different media, you can have one for mobile, one for projectors, and one for screens. Yes you use a single stylesheet for every page. This is done with id's and classe's EX:
    Code:
    <div id="center">
    I am one of a kind so i am an id.
    </div><!-- end center -->

the CSS:
    div#center {

}
    Code:
    <a href="#" class="outsidelink">I go somewhere</a>

the CSS:
    a.outsidelink {

}
    This way you can have different styles on different divs, and different elements. Yet on different pages. Hope this helps to some point. Work on the things I said, ask about them if you need some help I'll find some links for you and post them so you can read.

Here are some sites:

http://ilovetypography.com/ <-- typography and fonts, will help with your logo and generally with a font on your site.

http://themeforest.net/ <-- will show you different websites that you can learn from and see current web standards and what the pros are working on.

http://jquery.com <-- great to learn to do cool things with your website
    Andrew Yurlov likes this.

Member #
    Good spot for your inspiration: cssmania.com
    Or just type css gallery into google and browse galleries... Good luck

Member #
    thanks guys. like i said my colors etc arent in stone they are just there and the colors there kinda clash and I knew that much. my problem is I have no idea how to get my page coded to look like that above ie the layout. I spent like 4 days now trying to figure it out and im no farther along than I was when I started.

The finished layout is all basically photoshopped to show how I want it arranged. the first photo is where it is now. changing colors fonts etc is fine, however until I can get the layout to work the way I want it the rest is all moot.

I have looked through a lot of templates the last few days trying to find some nice color combos etc but to me most of them look dull and boring and i hate most of their buttons for links they look like someone didnt take their time trying to make them. I want something kinda flashy and artistic, but more modern and up to date so I may have to go bland and boring as most seem to be now a days, but until I can get my layout working im not going to put a lot of energy into small stuff like that.

Joe

Member #
    For choice of colors, try http://kuler.adobe.com/

Member #
    thanks i like that it gives you a bunch of colors to use together. normally I like something a little on the med dark to dark side because it is easier in low light to read as its not glaring back at your eyes. I am like a vampire my room is always dark i hate turning on lights, and when i hit a page full of bright colors it bothers my eyes. so I tend to try go for the warmer colors.

Joe

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    A tip for you when building any website:
    Always create a wireframe (box's non colored) on a piece of paper rather than go straight into design.
    when you do get to the stage of coding instead of using a crazy color use teh web safe colors for the div backgrounds for instance in the css put background-color:red; background-color:green; etc and this is good to do as well rather than using a border on the div. yea it may look mental but it gives you a good picture of where the containers in the site will sit etc. I do it all the time.

also go to this site http://www.colourlovers.com/ its brilliant and full of useful color schemes you also have places like http://www.0to255.com for different gradients of a color and http://www.border-radius.com for rounded corners on box.

If you want any ideas for color schemes etc feel free to give me a shoutout. or drop me a message through my website (the partner link in the signature)

-M3
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Member #
    thanks yes my layout instead of paper I did in paintshop pro. my problem is not with colors but the coding. I cant seem to be able to find anyone to help me on the coding front. I havent even worried abt the final colors yet as I cant figure out how to code the thing and so far havent found anyone able to help me on that end.

Joe

ps thanks for the links

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by proflooney, post: 225772
    thanks yes my layout instead of paper I did in paintshop pro. my problem is not with colors but the coding. I cant seem to be able to find anyone to help me on the coding front. I havent even worried abt the final colors yet as I cant figure out how to code the thing and so far havent found anyone able to help me on that end.

Joe

ps thanks for the links
    Ohhh soz lemme help you man. I didnt properly read the thread. If you cud upload a zip of your site for me and tell me exactly what its not doing i shall correct it for you and tell you what i did
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads