Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi,

I am pretty new to a website design/development. I just started with the basic HTML & CSS.

I am now thinking of creating a website which allow users to download ebooks (this is just for studying purpose only and just share locally in the intranet).

I believe that HTML & CSS itself is not enough to build such website and i am badly need your advise on this matter. I have designed my layout by having header, main content and footer. Main content is where the update information/links should be shown.
    Could you please advise what should i do if i would like to have my main content divided into 3 different columns to put up the image of books and the short description of the book itself? Should i just rely on HTML or CSS in order to get this job done? A short example will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    sanlen

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by sanlen, post: 227267
    Hi,

I am pretty new to a website design/development. I just started with the basic HTML & CSS.

I am now thinking of creating a website which allow users to download ebooks (this is just for studying purpose only and just share locally in the intranet).

I believe that HTML & CSS itself is not enough to build such website and i am badly need your advise on this matter. I have designed my layout by having header, main content and footer. Main content is where the update information/links should be shown.
    Could you please advise what should i do if i would like to have my main content divided into 3 different columns to put up the image of books and the short description of the book itself? Should i just rely on HTML or CSS in order to get this job done? A short example will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    sanlen
    Hellon Sanlen,

I believe there are two questions on your topic, the first one is if HTML and CSS would be able to handle a website to download ebooks and the answer to this one is No, you will need more than that. You will need PHP (and maybe some Javascript too). It is tempting to just upload the ebooks on your server and let people download it BUT you can't do that, each person will need a username and a safe password so you can make sure only the people authorized to download the ebooks have access to the page and this requires PHP, If you are brand new to everything and want to get this website quick you might want to look into Joomla! , it will help you build a website such as that in a fraction of the time it would take you to learn HTML, CSS and PHP, plus its free so you got nothing to lose.
    If you do have the time to spare then yes, learn HTML, then CSS, then PHP and you will be good to go.

The second question is about how to do a 3 column layout, have a look at those pages:

http://www.maxdesign.com.au/articles/liquid/

http://www.electrictoolbox.com/basic...th-css-layout/

http://www.adobe.com/content/dotcom/...tableless.html

http://matthewjamestaylor.com/blog/perfect-3-column.htm

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    If this is truly for an intranet ( not visible to the world, only an internal network ), HTML and CSS will be ok for your project as long as everyone on that internal network should have access to said eBooks ( I don't see any reference to any login or access requirements in the original post ).

Yes, php would make maintaining the site easier, but not really a requirement.

I maintain a large intranet for one of my clients, they use nothing but HTML on theirs as everyone on their internal network has access to everything published there. Only on 1 section of their intranet are there access requirements we use active directory to protect the sections. If someone accesses the section, they are presented a standard windows login for authentication.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 227472
    If this is truly for an intranet ( not visible to the world, only an internal network ), HTML and CSS will be ok for your project as long as everyone on that internal network should have access to said eBooks ( I don't see any reference to any login or access requirements in the original post ).

Yes, php would make maintaining the site easier, but not really a requirement.

I maintain a large intranet for one of my clients, they use nothing but HTML on theirs as everyone on their internal network has access to everything published there. Only on 1 section of their intranet are there access requirements we use active directory to protect the sections. If someone accesses the section, they are presented a standard windows login for authentication.
    Hello,

You are correct, I didn't realize he was talking about an intranet, I don't have any experience with a intranet therefore I am unable to comment ...

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Intranets are not really that different, but in presenting your response previously, you did bring up valid points that are relevant on some intranets. Many questions posted here have many answers, but mostly, almost every question posted could use clarification on some things.

Remove Ads