Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    hi guys that would be my 4th post. I'm very happy that you all helped me in my earlier post that's why i'm posting my 4th one.

enough talk now back to point: so here it is.....

I've placed a song in my html document which plays when we open a page. Now the problem is that when we move to another page the song shutsdown. (and it's normal i know) If i uses frames in my site then i can control the song means it can be played continuously but i don't want to use frames in my page. What's the alternative way to acquire the same result.

Just give me some ideas and advices and the way to doing it...

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Without using frames or iframes ( for othe content ), you only have one other option, open a small window ( popup ) move it to the back.

2 problems with that though, most people's popup blockers will keep the second window from opening, if the visitor moves on to another site, there's no way to tell that window to close...

Personally, if I have my sound on ( very rarely ), and I hit a site that is playing music, I usually break my mouse trying to hit the back button.

If you really want to provide some music, when visitors are on your site, you need to give them control on turning it on or off, and volume. If the user chooses to play the music, then you could open your contents in an iFrame that will stay on top, allow users to turn on or offend music, etc. If they choose not to play he music, then you need not do anything.

Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    Could use AJAX, so you'll never have to physically load another page - just reload new content and perhaps hash out links. It's the option I'd probably use - to do it will is a bit of work though as you'd need a JavaScript fall off, and you'd need to make sure if a bot visits the site JavaScript is turned off for them on page load so your SEO doesn't suffer.

As Webzarus suggests, you must give them the option to turn of the music - I think it would be illegal not to supply this feature in fact!
    Mark Gannaway Software Developer

Recent Experiments
    - Backpropogation Neural Network language solving (http://ann.ganners.co.uk/)
    - Animated image to ASCII (http://google.ganners.co.uk/)
    - 3D Paper Characters (http://cybergame.ganners.co.uk/)
    - Anagram solving (http://roflol.co.uk/)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I don't know of any laws that would have anything to do with this... Except the laws of common courtesy. Personally, as said before, if I visit a site, and music starts without me starting it, first thing I do is it the back button.

This is actually one of my DONT'S that I make sure all my clients understand. Why ?

1. If not done properly, it can be a security risk to visitors. ( depending on the file type, viruses and trojans can be distributed using hacked music file ).

2. Especially if music starts on page load, with no option to turn it off or on, it's a sign the designer is very new to the industry, kinda like animated gifs and flashing text. They are neat until they become irritating ( which is usually very quick ).

3. Everyone taste in music is different, so there is no one song that might be appealing to everyone.

4. How do you tie a particular song into a sites relevance ?

5. Legal ramifications ( if the music is copyrighted, you legally are required to pay royalties to the owners of the copyright for every time the music is played ), and documenting all that. Unless you have written permission from the owner to use the file.

I have done sites for musicians, and even with all the bases covered above, I create widgets that allowed visitors to start or stop the music, but never played on page load.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 228283
    Without using frames or iframes ( for othe content ), you only have one other option, open a small window ( popup ) move it to the back.

2 problems with that though, most people's popup blockers will keep the second window from opening, if the visitor moves on to another site, there's no way to tell that window to close...

Personally, if I have my sound on ( very rarely ), and I hit a site that is playing music, I usually break my mouse trying to hit the back button.

If you really want to provide some music, when visitors are on your site, you need to give them control on turning it on or off, and volume. If the user chooses to play the music, then you could open your contents in an iFrame that will stay on top, allow users to turn on or offend music, etc. If they choose not to play he music, then you need not do anything.
    Thank you very much Webzarus. I've decided that i'll not put any music on my site because you are right it will disturb the visitors and as you said, they all will push the back button.
    & i also got that the only option i've got is that the frames. (only with HTML and CSS coding)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganners, post: 228287
    Could use AJAX, so you'll never have to physically load another page - just reload new content and perhaps hash out links. It's the option I'd probably use - to do it will is a bit of work though as you'd need a JavaScript fall off, and you'd need to make sure if a bot visits the site JavaScript is turned off for them on page load so your SEO doesn't suffer.

As Webzarus suggests, you must give them the option to turn of the music - I think it would be illegal not to supply this feature in fact!
    I don't know much about Java, the real thing is that i even don't know the "a" or "b" of java.
    I've only knowledge about the HTML and CSS, thats why i post in this section.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehreen, post: 228336
    I don't know much about Java, the real thing is that i even don't know the "a" or "b" of java.
    I've only knowledge about the HTML and CSS, thats why i post in this section.
    Just to be clear - Java and javascript are two very different languages.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 228298
    I don't know of any laws that would have anything to do with this... Except the laws of common courtesy.
    This is quite an interesting one I think. So obviously the laws will be different depending on where you are, but here in the UK we have the DDA (Disability Discrimination Act) which basically states if your website is not accessible, it can be classed as discrimination.

Now I should have probably stated what can be discriminating to disabilities about having a song play on your site without an off button. So people who use a screen reader will have something read the site content to them very quickly. If there's a song playing then they can't hear it and so it can be classed as discrimination.

There's a thing that songs should never start playing on a site - however sites such as YouTube get away with this.

I don't know of any legal battles have realistically stemmed from this though!

http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/wcag

It's actually fairly easy to load things with AJAX. For this instance you can think of it as iFrames really, but you'll use JavaScript to load in the content from a new request. If you wanted to do that you can get plenty of help here - and online. It's a well documented topic!
    Mark Gannaway Software Developer

Recent Experiments
    - Backpropogation Neural Network language solving (http://ann.ganners.co.uk/)
    - Animated image to ASCII (http://google.ganners.co.uk/)
    - 3D Paper Characters (http://cybergame.ganners.co.uk/)
    - Anagram solving (http://roflol.co.uk/)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    There's talk of something similar here is us, but the argument has been ongoing for about 5 years if I remember correctly.

The problem is, the people trying to push the law are doing just that, meanwhile thousands of pages are published daily that would not meet the requirements.

So then you move into the area of discovery and enforcement. And who is going to pay for this monitoring and enforcement ? This is one of those things that needs a long term plan to implement.

Besides, ( me wondering out loud ), wouldn't it be easier for screen readers to ignore sounds ??? Just sayin. I was under the impression, they only looked for text and read it ?

Guess I need to re download one to see exactly what it does.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Usually not a good idea to play music without the users input.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Remove Ads