Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a code that could disable a website visitor's background so that their monitor will render only text and the pixels on the screen that display the blank background will be turned off completely. Is there a way to do that?

Or is there currently a way to do this from the client's side via their computer preferences?

If not, do you think such a code can be written to accomplish this?

Thank you.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    A little more detail ???

Background on a web site ? Or the pc desktop background ?

You can only control what is displayed in the browser, and actually based on user preferences, they can disable certain things.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    In other words, I want to turn off all the pixels except the ones displaying text.

I want to know if this is possible to save energy.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    The short answer: no

I take it you are talking about trying to control a persons screen. You'd have better luck just forcing people to only use LED screens and not allow anything to be displayed on CRT screens. As far as I know and understand how those things work, neither is going to happen.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    So I can't control what LCD screen pixels fire (turn on) by my web page content? Like if I had no colors (just like black & white or just black), no images (just text and text links) it would not reduce the energy required for an LCD screen to display it?

I know there was a study that concluded Blackle.com had no real effect in reducing energy consumption of LCD screens but what I'm trying to do is shut off as many unnecessary pixels as possible by carefully choosing and limiting my site's content to the most basic elements needed and no more. Specifically, eliminating extraneous background replication. There is so much blank space on the average web page that doesn't need to be displayed (pixelized). It would be great if we could just keep those pixels off if we could and have that area literally look (and function) as the display looks when it's turned off.. Like a compartmentalized screen with some of it on where the text is and the rest of it off, where content is not needed. No go?

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Not sure it would be possible without accessing the monitor's firmware, and even then I doubt they're designed for that, so definitely not something you could code into a website.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    From talking with a video engineer several months ago, he was under the impression that if a monitor Manu. Wanted to display the energy saving logo on their products, their monitors already turn off pixel clusters if the color selected is the he same as the natural non power state.

The problem is, with font smoothing, high end video processors rarely send any natural state signals. The color representations for black and natural state are different.

And no, you can't control a video signal from a web page.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 229027
    From talking with a video engineer several months ago, he was under the impression that if a monitor Manu. Wanted to display the energy saving logo on their products, their monitors already turn off pixel clusters if the color selected is the he same as the natural non power state.

The problem is, with font smoothing, high end video processors rarely send any natural state signals. The color representations for black and natural state are different.

And no, you can't control a video signal from a web page.
    Hmm..okay...thanks for your help.

Remove Ads