Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hello,
    Since I was 7 years old i've been experimenting with pc's.
    So now 10 years later i'm over all the gaming stuff and other **** that don't help you any further in life.

So this weekend someone offered me a job in webdesign.
    They would give me 2 weeks to make a site in HTML or Flash
    and I could choose the subject myself.

So i'm asking all of you friendly:

Where should I start ? I have the basic knowledge of HTML but that's it.

PS: "Inb4 you should practice alot longer before doing this" I just need some good tutorial sites or info DVD's or something. I'm a quick learner.

Thanks in advance.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi,

Same here , but i have learned basic web designing like html coding , css etc. I have learned this all from W3school dot com. It's really good website to get started. But i would like you to download some video tutorials and go with that. There are lot's of online there but you have to chose the best one. I have some link's where you can learn designing, if you have facebook then try finding facebook dot com/designtips you can get many good tutorial from this fanpage.
    Vernix_46 likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by xhtmlpress, post: 230077
    Hi,

Same here , but i have learned basic web designing like html coding , css etc. I have learned this all from W3school dot com. It's really good website to get started. But i would like you to download some video tutorials and go with that. There are lot's of online there but you have to chose the best one. I have some link's where you can learn designing, if you have facebook then try finding facebook dot com/designtips you can get many good tutorial from this fanpage.
    Thank you very much for the reply ! (:

Member #
    i have as well learned from w3schools very good web site and see video tutorials as well that will gonna help alot

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    So now 10 years later i'm over all the gaming stuff and other **** that don't help you any further in life.
    Not bad for 17, kid. I'm 34 and there are people in my age bracket that don't get this.

Here's the thing I don't get...someone wants to pay you to build a site about pretty much anything you want? That doesn't sound right. Usually if you're going to get paid, the person paying you has at least a general idea of the topic of the site. It has to be about their business, they may want it in Flash, they may want certain pictures.

For example, I'm not going to come to you and say "hey, show me something you can build and I'll give you $500." I'm going to say, "I'll give you $500 for a site that covers X, Y, and Z." So before you do anything else, I'd talk to whoever this is that wants to pay you and make sure they have a better idea of what they want. Otherwise, this sounds like a content factory looking for a sucker.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 230106
    Not bad for 17, kid. I'm 34 and there are people in my age bracket that don't get this.

Here's the thing I don't get...someone wants to pay you to build a site about pretty much anything you want? That doesn't sound right. Usually if you're going to get paid, the person paying you has at least a general idea of the topic of the site. It has to be about their business, they may want it in Flash, they may want certain pictures.

For example, I'm not going to come to you and say "hey, show me something you can build and I'll give you $500." I'm going to say, "I'll give you $500 for a site that covers X, Y, and Z." So before you do anything else, I'd talk to whoever this is that wants to pay you and make sure they have a better idea of what they want. Otherwise, this sounds like a content factory looking for a sucker.
    Hi,

first of all thanks for the answer (:

and before warning you should know this:

- The guy who offered me the job is a friend of my girlfriend.
    - I said I just knew the basics of HTML etc. so they gave me two weeks to create a website, which subject I could choose and they would look at it and rate it as a test. High rating means I get the job.
    - After the test i'll get general info about the companies I have to make a site for and then I get paid for each site I deliver.
    - I already met this guy in real and he gave me alot of explanation and said I didn't have to worry.

So...

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    A job ? Generating sites for ?

I've replied to some of these idiots pretending not to know much about web design, because that is their target audience... They tell you things like " I got 40-50 clients wanting sites " , or I can get you all the work you could handle...

Once you show then you're capable ( and gullible ), they start low balling you on the price they are willing to pay, citing... Well since you're new to this, your still learning so actually I'm paying you to learn.

Then after the 10 or so sites... They pay is still no better and they have another line..

Most of the sites are really about bull... Generic topics... And they are going mainly after high value cclick ads, substituting this content for one that was generated by some smuck in your situation 6 months ago, so they get new content, and the search engines see the changes... Hoping to get better rankings... The whole time being about nothing...

They tell you $100 bucks a site and you should be able to do 1 a day, but they never pay you more than $50 and they with all their stipulations you can't get one done in 2 days much less 1.

Get everything in writing... Friends of friends are usually the ones that will take you for the biggest ride, and leave you hanging. If they won't put it in writing.. Walk away.

Might be legit... But doubt it...
    Content mill probably .

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Agreed with Webzarus. This really sounds like a content factory looking for a sucker.

Ask yourself this question...if this guy wants to test you, why wouldn't he test you with one of his own sites? Why is he having you build something unrelated? If he's got several companies you'd have to make a site for, at least some of them would be in the "no hurry, get it done a quarter past whenever you feel like it" camp. If you messed it up in 2 weeks (not likely if it's a legit firm because they'd knock you off in a matter of days if you messed up), someone else could step in and do it right.

A friend of a girlfriend doesn't make the situation any better, either. Friends of friends screw friends of friends over because friends of friends don't get things in writing..."we're all bros". You're also 17, and chances are you're in love with your girlfriend...and this guy, in all likelihood, is taking advantage of this.

The best thing you can do is think with the head attached to your neck as opposed to the other one.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Vernix - Are you planning on learning this anyway? If so, whats the difference. Just starting out you ARE getting paid to learn this and that is not bad. Everyone has to start some place. Earning $50 for building a website is better than trial and error on your own just screwing around learning. Take advantage of it. When you out grow the money ask for more. By then you will know what you should be making. If he can't meet the pay you want, take your skills you have acquired and move on.
    As far as learning - Me personally, I am a learning junky. If you have an extra $25 dollars a month I would suggest a site like lynda.com. Especially if you want to learn more than CSS and HTML.

Anywho.....that is my 2 cents
    TheGAME1264 and oink like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    That'd be about the only reason to get involved with this...if the money is a bonus and the experience is the primary thing. Mind you, if you were going to do that, you're better off developing the sites yourself and using Adsense or some other form of advertising to keep the money yourself.
    Casey Jones likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads