Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Border issue

Member #
    I have the following page:

newpage

I can't figure out why my right border extends too far out...it's driven me crazy all day!!!

Also, for the time being please excuse that my header is also serving as a footer! Finally the bg color is just a place holder...but the border is really driving me nuts...PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thanks a million in advance!

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Get your CSS out of the HTML page and into a separate file. That will make it much easier to play with it and see what's causing the problem.
    acegreen likes this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    I think I am utterly confused between CSS and php includes. I had a better understanding when I used HTML only...

On the page I utilize a php include (or at least try to).....

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I can imagine that even when you were writing just HTML, you probably still had your CSS in there. It has nothing to do with PHP or HTML at all. PHP includes are all fine and dandy, but you still have your CSS right there on the page.

Put this somewhere inside your <head> tags:

<link rel=stylesheet href="style.css" type="text/css" />

Then, put all of your CSS in the style.css file. That will get the CSS out of the document and make it not only easier to help you, but easier for you to work with. When you separate your code this way, you can much more easily sift through everything looking for errors. Not to mention, your page will load faster since the browser can download 2 smaller files at once as opposed to one large one.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Okay, now it finally clicked! I've made the changes and everything is fine in FF, BUT my img looks bigger than the container (height-wise) in IE. So wanted to ask...does IE count/measure pixels differently than FF? It's the only explanation I can think of...?

The page in question

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I can't see the page, as I'm on a government computer, but usually problems like that have to do with browser defaults. Most browsers add margin/padding to block-level elements. Mozilla and Webkit are a little smarter about it, but IE is...well, IE. You'll want to make sure you reset the margin/padding to 0 on the container to keep it looking right.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Thanks for the quick reply. Not to sound dumb, but when you say "the container" do you mean my

#box-container{ width:1000px; height:166px; } in my CSS

OR

<div id="box-container"> in my php file?

ALSO: would the following edit (in either the CSS or php) be enough:

margin:0px;

Again, thanks for the reply!

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I mean the container you mentioned in the OP. Whatever is holding the image you were talking about.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer

Remove Ads