Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Mobile Site

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hi, I have been in web design for about 3/4 years (I am 15), and I know more and more things are moving to mobile devices and site's need to be more capable on mobile devices. I can design a mobile site I just do not know how to get the site to redirect to the mobile page. Any Help would be appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    You could make individual CSS files for different devices, but it's a pain because you are only targeting a very small scope. It's best to make a responsive designed website. There are a couple of libraries that allow you to do just that.

Skeleton is a library that I discovered only days ago on this website. I never had a chance to play around with it, but it looks like a great choice. It style agnostic too.

Twitter Bootstrap is a library I had a chance to play around with and it's great. It has a lot of eye candy effects and works incredibly well. It has a customization page if you want to replace their styling. They also have some amazing documentation. However, if you are working with an existing design, you should go with Skeleton first because Bootstrap would be changing fonts, font sizes and margins on you.
    m3n0tu18 and Ronald Roe like this.

Member #
    Liked
    764 times
    Depending on the server that you are hosting the site on... there are scripts that can detect the mobile browser "user_agent" string being sent by the browser... there are some javascript versions of this but in my opinion... this should be done on the server side of things... then set a cookie or session variable to keep them there, but give them the option to view "full site"... by resetting the variable of cookie

you can use that to:

1. redirect a browser displaying the mobile user_agent string to a completely different site...
    2. load a particular CSS file...

since many sites have hundreds if not thousands of pages, but not all of them would interest someone on a mobile device ( because of the screen size issues )... you may want to do #1 , and only pull in relevant content to that section...

if you're dealing with a site that only has a few pages, I'd go with #2

I've use this one before...

http://mobiforge.com/developing/stor...-detection-php

Member #
    Liked
    118 times
    I think you should research Media Queries. This is what I have been told over and over again lately and haven't had a lot time to do so. With media queries you add the different styles for the different sized screens that you are targeting and when a smaller screen brings up your site it will adjust to the appropriate size without having to redirect to a mobile site template.
    Ronald Roe likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    532 times
    m3n0tu18 likes this.
    Roe Designs
    Web designer / Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."