Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have some web pages (not created by me) which make extensive use of inline API functions. For example,

<title><% aspGetTranslation("MainTitle_Setup"); %></title>
    <function...
    {
    noButtonText: '<% aspGetTranslation("btn_No"); %>',
    yesButtonText: '<% aspGetTranslation("btn_Yes"); %>',
    okButtonText: '<% aspGetTranslation("btn_OK"); %>',
    }

<td>&nbsp;<% aspSetFavoriteNewHandler("Add", " Add ", "favorites.asp", "FavName", "FavUrl");

No external files or URLs have been referenced in these HTML pages that could include these APIs. I could not find these APIs anywhere on the list of webpage files and folders that were provided to me. I manually searched through almost every file, hoping to find anything on these APIs, but to no avail. I even hosted these pages on an Abyss server to see if these APIs were inbuilt. I could only view the HTML part of the web pages. I got nothing on the browser in places where the APIs were used. I'm assuming these APIs are not web standards as I could not find anything about them on the net either. I do have a pdf though, that has a description of all these APIs being used (how to use them and with what parameters, and what they return), nothing else.

My only assumption is that I am missing these APIs. Where should API's ideally be placed? Can somebody provide me with online references that give me some more information about using APIs?

Help.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Those aren't APIs. They're ASP functions, or possibly ASP.net built in functions. Based on the code, I'd say they're classic ASP functions. They're probably related to a script or something running on the page.

If you want to find them, the easiest way is to get a copy of Visual Web Developer Express (or any other editor that allows for global find/replace). You'll download every page on your site to the machine running VWDE, then you'll try to Find (using <ctrl><shift><f>) any references to those functions. Depending on the size of the site, you may have a lot to go through, but you should find them eventually.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Looks like some built, installed, and registered a "class" on the server that has all these "function" builtin to it.

One way to test it is to "move all the files to a completely different server", meaning new machine...

Run the pages... If they fail... The server will kick an error telling you the class name that it's looking for in the event logs. Could be a special DLL file ... Could be a DLL file that calls a specific .ini or .dat file... Or something different...

You might also find a reference to the class somewhere in the server configs or the server environment variables list...

Can't think of how to look up registered classes using DOS.. But it can be done...

I've only seen this once before when a developer didn't want the end user to have access to all the files and wanted to make sure the client continued using him for site updates...

Needless to say... Didn't work... Once we determined what the issue was, I rewrote all the functions and attached them normally... so they could be managed normally...

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I don't think it's a DLL class. Usually if that's the case, it's of the format API_Name.API_Property_Or_Sub_or_Function_or_Someth ing. That's why I'm leaning more toward functions built in on an ASP page.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    A DLL class can be made to call and load and execute asp code... Or server command line functions...

Since he loaded it on a new server ( I re-read his post )... And it's not working ... But then again... Abyss server may not process ASP... So might not be the case...

I've only had experience with DLL classes a couple times...

The way they are written in the OP is a "typical" function call...

When I use functions in ASP, I usually call the "common" file that holds all the functions at the first line of the page... Since we don't have all the code... Who knows...

Could be called from an external file ? But since the op mentioned no external calls... ( assuming he knows what to look for )... Only other thing I can think of is a special class file being called... Oh wait... He didn't say of the files included a global.asa file... Could it be that simple ?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Yeah, we are definitely guessing, but from what I've seen it's more likely a function in either an include file (like you and I do) or like you said global.asa. Tough call, though.

Remove Ads