Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    This is the site I'm working on: http://yellowsparkle.com/

In Photoshop, I made the whole top part into a nav slice (besides the little slices for the elements). I want to be able to use this top part of the page for all my other pages and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do so. Here are some thoughts I had and please correct me.

1. Re-size the index page to just the top part (navigation) and save this to a separate file and this will be the only file that would contain this information. Then resize the image page, deleting the top part.

2. Leave the index file as it is and make some css, ssi, javascript, php etc... code that would point to the top part of the index file containing the navigation elements and each page on my site would get that information from some code to display it.

That's all I have. What to do? Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Well you could use <?php include ?> additions and copy the nav container and redirect all the templates to that php include. But because you have built the site in tables instead of divs it does cause issues unfortunately and will make it harder for you to do what you need.

-m3
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Member #
    So I don't need tables. Is there a way to export the data from Photoshop without it using the tables in the html it generates?

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zvit, post: 236475
    So I don't need tables. Is there a way to export the data from Photoshop without it using the tables in the html it generates?
    If youve exported the site as html and images then all you will need to do is build the layout with DIV and CSS and then use background-image:url(images/image01.jpg); in your DIV container.

Not sure if that makes sense

View my company Website

Member #
    It makes total scene but if I do that, how will I ever be able to change my Photoshop layout? Each time I change the graphics, a new html file is generated with tables and I wouldn't be able to copy paste anymore since I now have changed the tables to divs. There would be slices of new sizes, new images, etc... how would I ever be able to get all that new information into my edited html? Am I explaining my question ok?

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zvit, post: 236478
    It makes total scene but if I do that, how will I ever be able to change my Photoshop layout? Each time I change the graphics, a new html file is generated with tables and I wouldn't be able to copy paste anymore since I now have changed the tables to divs. There would be slices of new sizes, new images, etc... how would I ever be able to get all that new information into my edited html? Am I explaining my question ok?
    I think so yea. Okay heres what you do. Export the site as you normally do and look in the images folder. copy the images to a new images folder where you want to build your site.
    so with the html you need to build the site in divs like this:
    HTML Code:
    <div id="header"></div>
    and the css would be this:
    Code:
    #header
    {
    width:920px; <!--or the width of the image for your header -->
    background-image:url(images/header-img.jpg);
    background-repeat:no-repeat;
    background-position:center center;
    }
    Hope that makes sense.

-m3

View my company Website

Member #
    Thanks for your help.

1. My nav part of the page is made up of 14 sliced images for some have links to them. So I don't have just one image for the header so how do I do it your way with 14 slices? Do I give each image an id and use 14 divs in the html? How do you position them all if it is not tables and of course they can't all be centered?

2. My previous question... if I change the PS file and export new images, I can copy the images to the image folder but now I would have to copy paste line by line to change the html since the PS one is tables and I won't be able to copy paste the whole thing as a whole.

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Try watching this, it should help you with the basics of conversion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU5VpTWNczU

View my company Website

Remove Ads