Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi,

I just signed up here hoping to get some help as I'm finishing up my site. I'm not fluent in HTML or CSS so any help would be greatly appreciated. The main issue that I'm getting is that there are inconsistencies with how the site looks in firefox compared to IE and the changes even occur with different versions of IE. My site looks fine at home with IE but its messed up with firefox. At work it looks fine with firefox but messed up with IE.

http://visualonestudios.com

What could be the cause of that? What should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance,
    Martin

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Hi,

Different browsers are the biggest pain in web design, without knowing which bits look different on the different browsers Id recommend checking your padding and margins within your CSS sheet, these are often interpreted slightly different in the different browsers. Might be worth trying a reset all paddings and margins at the top of the CSS like this:

Code:
    * {margin:0; padding:0}
    Also I've noticed that IE will put borders around image links whereas FF wont so its good to include a border="0" within the img tag if your experiencing that.

Hope that helps or if you can be more specific about whats going wrong I may be able to help a bit more. I got rid of IE in a fit of temper once and refuse to get it back so cant check myself

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Since you have 5 seperate CSS stylesheets attached and your statements above... I'm going to assume you are using element from different places...

This ( what you are experiencing ), happens because you get some code for one section ( menu )... From one place and it looks great... Plug it in to a template you got from somewhere else... Then you get a widget or something else from somewhere else...

More than likely you have some conflicting CSS code because of all the different components...

I usually use google chrome audit tool... It will show you where you have redundant code and most of the conflicts... Since each browser handles and processes CSS differently ( as stated above )... There is no quick fix.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    it looks fine on all browsers on my hand over here? did you fix all your problems?
    Design inspiration is all around
    you just have to open your eyes.
    www.pizzolo.me
    New Jersey Website Design - Eric@Pizzolo.me

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by medlington, post: 236834
    Hi,

Also I've noticed that IE will put borders around image links whereas FF wont so its good to include a border="0" within the img tag if your experiencing that.
    Actually, the syntactically correct way to do this is to use CSS:
    Code:
    img {border:  none;}
    Eric Pizzolo likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It doesn't in IE7, but that's because IE7 doesn't recognize inline-block as a display attribute.
    Code:
    #topnav ul li {
    float:  left;
    display: inline;
    }
    That will work across the board. HOWEVER...you will need to clear your float, so I usually add a list element at the end to clear it and not float itself.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads