Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have been working in basic html and css for the past year. Very basic! Although I've been working in html for years, I am not very designer savvy.

I have a website with 300 stories all using the same template. This template is simple and has a external css sheet so that I can change the design if I want. However, with 300 stories, I've had to manually place the story on the same template and upload it to site folder. That means if I want to add another navigation button to the story template, I have to remove 300 stories from my site and individually redo 300 pages with the new change and then upload them back to the same folder in the root directory. This is time consuming even though I use an ftp client.

Is there anyway, I can just load the one template to the directory and then upload the stories to automatically use that same one template? That way I only need to upload the template with the new change(s) and it would automatically display on all 300 pages>

I hope this was the correct form to post to and that I was able to describe my difficulty coherently. My apologies, otherwise.

Thanks for any help. Oh if you want to see my website page with the stories; the story archive page is:
    http://home.comcast.net/~shadowpeopleorg/archive.html

Click on anyone of the stories to see the template I speak of.:dance:

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    correct me if i am wrong anyone. but if you use php and you can use the "include" statement for the header, nav, and footer and you can just change the navigation in the php file for it.

http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_includes.asp
    "ON TIME, ON TARGET, NEVER QUIT"

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Susie, post: 237389
    I have been working in basic html and css for the past year. Very basic! Although I've been working in html for years, I am not very designer savvy.......
    ...Click on anyone of the stories to see the template I speak of.:dance:
    I think for the case of your issue you will need to look at content management systems, have a look at Joomla or wordpress. Yes although it will be a long haul to get all the content set up and put in correctly, it is well worth it in the long run.

You can go down the database route but you will in effect be doing what Joomla or Wordpress do only without a gui.

Joomla and Wordpress have loads of free templates that can be messed around with.

Hope this helps.

-m3
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Remove Ads