Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi all,

Am writing a website for a free concert thing I do with friends, teaching myself HTML & css as I go on, am patchy but getting there sort of.

I'm working through various browser issues atm (seriously what is wrong with IE8?!) but this one is really confusing me!

On Firefox the page is REALLY WIDE for no reason that I can see! Has anyone come across this? I don't know why! Can anyone help? We'd be so grateful!

Best
    William

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    1) All browsers suck on some level. People blame IE, and they screw things up too, but every single browser is screwed. There is no better browser, other than personal preference. I prefer Chrome myself, but that's me, and I don't think it's perfect.

2) Your IE issues and Firefox issues aren't browser faults as such, but in the way you coded them. You made a mistake most rookie/inexperienced coders make, and that's using absolute positioning without really understanding how it works. The point of absolute positioning is that you want something positioned in a specific spot in the document AND based on the flow of the document, you can't get it there otherwise. There are pragmatic uses for absolute positioning, but you're overusing it. Specifically, your titlepic div is what the problem is. Take the absolute positioning out of that div, explicitly define width and height for that div and more importantly that header image, and you'll probably find that your horizontal scrollbar goes away.

I've seen Firefox screw up server-side code before, so I hate it as a result, but this isn't their fault. If you ever want to find out if it's a browser issue or not, there are two simple rules:

1) Can what you're coding be coded differently and be made to work in all browsers? In 98% of cases, this is true.
    2) Does your specific situation require a hack?

If 1) is no and 2) is yes, then you've got a browser issue. Otherwise, you don't.
    m3n0tu18 likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 237507
    I prefer Chrome myself,
    WOOOOO Another Chromite, i didnt read the rest of the post until ive written this.
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by m3n0tu18, post: 237527
    WOOOOO Another Chromite, i didnt read the rest of the post until ive written this.
    Chrome passed up IE just this month as the top browser...
    AlphaMare likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Google chrome is a good search engine.Now a days people use google chrome a lot.Firefox is also a good search engine.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamdavid, post: 237586
    Google chrome is a good search engine.Now a days people use google chrome a lot.Firefox is also a good search engine.
    Neither of them are search engines...
    TheGAME1264 and m3n0tu18 like this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I like chrome for browsing, but Firefox for all my plugins/work. Even know chrome is getting allot better.
    I run a local SEO & Web Designer. Business Web Designs

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamdavid, post: 237586
    Google.com is a search engine. Bing is a search engine.
    Google Chrome is a browser (well, a crappy one). Firefox is a browser.

Member #
    haha what happened to this thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 237507
    1) All browsers suck on some level. People blame IE, and they screw things up too, but every single browser is screwed. There is no better browser, other than personal preference. I prefer Chrome myself, but that's me, and I don't think it's perfect.

2) Your IE issues and Firefox issues aren't browser faults as such, but in the way you coded them. You made a mistake most rookie/inexperienced coders make, and that's using absolute positioning without really understanding how it works. The point of absolute positioning is that you want something positioned in a specific spot in the document AND based on the flow of the document, you can't get it there otherwise. There are pragmatic uses for absolute positioning, but you're overusing it. Specifically, your titlepic div is what the problem is. Take the absolute positioning out of that div, explicitly define width and height for that div and more importantly that header image, and you'll probably find that your horizontal scrollbar goes away.

I've seen Firefox screw up server-side code before, so I hate it as a result, but this isn't their fault. If you ever want to find out if it's a browser issue or not, there are two simple rules:

1) Can what you're coding be coded differently and be made to work in all browsers? In 98% of cases, this is true.
    2) Does your specific situation require a hack?

If 1) is no and 2) is yes, then you've got a browser issue. Otherwise, you don't.
    sorry for silence, this solved the problem perfect! thanks very much!

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    I think we can all agree that chrome is the browser of the gods its like this:
    IE
    meh.
    Chrome
    JESUS TAP DANCING CHRIST! THIS BROWSER LITERALLY SUPPORTS EVERY CONCEIVABLE THING IN THE UNIVERSE. ITS LIKE OPRAH RIDING A JETSKI WITH GOD OVER THE SUN!!!!
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Hey you! Go make something!

Remove Ads