Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2
    Member #
    31987
    Hi all,

    Am writing a website for a free concert thing I do with friends, teaching myself HTML & css as I go on, am patchy but getting there sort of.

    I'm working through various browser issues atm (seriously what is wrong with IE8?!) but this one is really confusing me!

    On Firefox the page is REALLY WIDE for no reason that I can see! Has anyone come across this? I don't know why! Can anyone help? We'd be so grateful!

    Best
    William

  2.  

  3. #2
    Unpaid WDF Intern TheGAME1264's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Not from USA
    Posts
    14,485
    Member #
    425
    Liked
    2783 times
    1) All browsers suck on some level. People blame IE, and they screw things up too, but every single browser is screwed. There is no better browser, other than personal preference. I prefer Chrome myself, but that's me, and I don't think it's perfect.

    2) Your IE issues and Firefox issues aren't browser faults as such, but in the way you coded them. You made a mistake most rookie/inexperienced coders make, and that's using absolute positioning without really understanding how it works. The point of absolute positioning is that you want something positioned in a specific spot in the document AND based on the flow of the document, you can't get it there otherwise. There are pragmatic uses for absolute positioning, but you're overusing it. Specifically, your titlepic div is what the problem is. Take the absolute positioning out of that div, explicitly define width and height for that div and more importantly that header image, and you'll probably find that your horizontal scrollbar goes away.

    I've seen Firefox screw up server-side code before, so I hate it as a result, but this isn't their fault. If you ever want to find out if it's a browser issue or not, there are two simple rules:

    1) Can what you're coding be coded differently and be made to work in all browsers? In 98% of cases, this is true.
    2) Does your specific situation require a hack?

    If 1) is no and 2) is yes, then you've got a browser issue. Otherwise, you don't.
    m3n0tu18 likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

    My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

  4. #3
    WDF Staff m3n0tu18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    1,473
    Member #
    28473
    Liked
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 237507
    I prefer Chrome myself,
    WOOOOO Another Chromite, i didnt read the rest of the post until ive written this.
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

    Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

    <<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

  5. #4
    Senior Member Ronald Roe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    3,141
    Member #
    27197
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by m3n0tu18, post: 237527
    WOOOOO Another Chromite, i didnt read the rest of the post until ive written this.
    Chrome passed up IE just this month as the top browser...
    AlphaMare likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

  6. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    12
    Member #
    31875
    Google chrome is a good search engine.Now a days people use google chrome a lot.Firefox is also a good search engine.

  7. #6
    Senior Member Ronald Roe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    3,141
    Member #
    27197
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamdavid, post: 237586
    Google chrome is a good search engine.Now a days people use google chrome a lot.Firefox is also a good search engine.
    Neither of them are search engines...
    TheGAME1264 and m3n0tu18 like this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    83
    Member #
    22593
    Liked
    7 times
    I like chrome for browsing, but Firefox for all my plugins/work. Even know chrome is getting allot better.
    I run a local SEO & Web Designer. Business Web Designs

  9. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fairfax, CA
    Posts
    2,036
    Member #
    28003
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamdavid, post: 237586
    Google chrome is a good search engine.Now a days people use google chrome a lot.Firefox is also a good search engine.
    Google.com is a search engine. Bing is a search engine.
    Google Chrome is a browser (well, a crappy one). Firefox is a browser.

  10. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2
    Member #
    31987
    haha what happened to this thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 237507
    1) All browsers suck on some level. People blame IE, and they screw things up too, but every single browser is screwed. There is no better browser, other than personal preference. I prefer Chrome myself, but that's me, and I don't think it's perfect.

    2) Your IE issues and Firefox issues aren't browser faults as such, but in the way you coded them. You made a mistake most rookie/inexperienced coders make, and that's using absolute positioning without really understanding how it works. The point of absolute positioning is that you want something positioned in a specific spot in the document AND based on the flow of the document, you can't get it there otherwise. There are pragmatic uses for absolute positioning, but you're overusing it. Specifically, your titlepic div is what the problem is. Take the absolute positioning out of that div, explicitly define width and height for that div and more importantly that header image, and you'll probably find that your horizontal scrollbar goes away.

    I've seen Firefox screw up server-side code before, so I hate it as a result, but this isn't their fault. If you ever want to find out if it's a browser issue or not, there are two simple rules:

    1) Can what you're coding be coded differently and be made to work in all browsers? In 98% of cases, this is true.
    2) Does your specific situation require a hack?

    If 1) is no and 2) is yes, then you've got a browser issue. Otherwise, you don't.
    sorry for silence, this solved the problem perfect! thanks very much!

  11. #10
    Senior Member Noteleklabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    217
    Member #
    31890
    Liked
    28 times
    I think we can all agree that chrome is the browser of the gods its like this:
    IE
    meh.
    Chrome
    JESUS TAP DANCING CHRIST! THIS BROWSER LITERALLY SUPPORTS EVERY CONCEIVABLE THING IN THE UNIVERSE. ITS LIKE OPRAH RIDING A JETSKI WITH GOD OVER THE SUN!!!!
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Hey you! Go make something!


Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

firefox page width issues

Click on a term to search for related topics.
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:20 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
vBulletin Skin By: PurevB.com