Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I wanted to know if a concept like this below was possible:

We are a non-profit who will have selling a movie we made online shortly.

We would like to make a donation page where if a person donates $100, they will be given five special access codes that can then be sent to their friends e-mails. Their friends will then input the special access code on a website in order to watch the streaming movie. The special access code will be active for 45 days.

Does anyone have any examples of other companies doing this or any directions on if this is even possible/first steps to take?

Many thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    No examples, but the logic would be.

You will need a DB to store the original username, a special key, a varialble that is updated everytime the link is clicked or the movie is viewed, a simple email function.

Once the donation is made, an entry into the DB is made, a special key is generated and a link is embedded in the email using the special key. That part could be possibly automated or leave it a manual function to do so someone has to manually do this once the donation is verified.

Then as users click the link, the DB is updated as to how many times the movie has been viewed. You may want to take that a step further in case of network issues. Where the variable is also checked and set once the movie is actually viewed.

Instead of just sending the user to a URL that has the video hard coded into the page, the link to the page will have the KEY embedded in the URL as a variable... When the page loads, the variable will be checked against the DB, if there are views left, the script will load the video, if not it will load a message informing the viewer that the video has been viewed X times.

If you check a place like http://www.hotscripts.com you'll probably find what you're looking for, or something that can be used and or modified to do this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm not sure you would find something at Hotscripts just because it's so specific. You might, but I wouldn't count on it.

Here are some of the things you'll need to consider:

1) What language(s) are available on your hosting plan?

2) Do you have a credit card payment processor set up to accept online donations? If not, you can at least set up a PayPal button in about 15-20 minutes in the short run.

3) What format is the movie in? In this particular case, it would probably work best if the movie was in Flash, since security measures can be taken to ensure that the movie can only be viewed from the site in question.

Other than that, what WZ said.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads