Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hello,
    I'm a dabbler in web design, just drop in occasionally. Anyway I'm working on upgrading a site for my dad's sign shop and it seems to be doing okay in most browsers (based on browsershots.org) but it's messed up in IE 7(XP), IE 8(XP) and IE 9(Windows 7) --- again according to browsershots.org.

(Although on my computer it looks okay in IE8(XP) )

Here is the site: http://www.artsignbirmingham.com

I only have the front page and the "Banners" page up right now.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the CSS "float" property? Since most of the page is laid out with DIVs "floating" left. But what is different about IE and how do I address it?

Thanks for any suggestions,
    Tim

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    What I am seeing right off the bat is the head info is incorrect.

Are you using HTML5?

Your doctype is completely wrong which is causing the browsers in question to read the page in "quirks mode" or safe mode, and will not read your html or xhtml correctly. Because it does not know what it is reading...

<html><!DOCTYPE html>
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
    </style> <-- what is this for?
    </head>

should look like this:

<!DOCTYPE HTML>
    <html lang="en">
    <head>
    <meta charset="UTF-8">
    insert other meta tags, title, stylesheets, and scripts here
    </head>

Member #
    Thanks, I'll go change it. I never know what to put up there, the tutorials I've read have always seemed sort of vague on that point. I probably just copied that from a page that seemed like they knew what they were doing. (unlike me!)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I wouldn't change that doctype to the HTML5 doctype. It's not necessary for what you're doing. Try this one instead:
    Code:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    Mind you, that's not what your problem is. You're missing body tags.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    oh good, I just uploaded a bunch of pages before reading this...

I guess I can change the doctypes to yours if need be... But I do have body tags, I thought...

In the form
    Code:
    <html>
    <head></head>
    <body></body>
    </html>
    Is that wrong?

Member #
    Now this is weird... I went into Network Solution's online file editor, and saw that the body tags were indeed missing. (I have them in the file I uploaded.)

So I added the body tags, saved it, and then opened it again in the editor. The body tags were gone again. What is that all about I wonder - something to do with Network Solutions?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    If you're editing it on their end and you're ensuring that the tags are saved, yes, it is absolutely them. I don't know about their hosting, but their domain registration service is an extreme ripoff and their hosting would likely be in the same boat...they cater to "newbies" (translation: customers that don't have the experience or knowledge to know better than to use them.)
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Yeah, I'm a novice/newbie but I would not have chosen them just based on their website and interface. Unfortunately my dad signed up with them some years back and it just seemed easier to go ahead and use them if possible --- since I don't know exactly how much cost and hassle there would be switching to a better service (which would also take research and be a gamble too, since I don't know much more than him about it.)

Still it's strange to me that NS would alter the HTML like that.

Member #
    And looking at it just now in "view source" it does have body tags, so never mind...

Guess I'll still go ahead and change the doctype to that "transitional" style though.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It looks okay from my end now that the body tags are back in place. I'd leave it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads