Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hi all,

It's been ages since ive done any web design and in fact you wouldnt believe how much things have chaned lol

Ive been asked to build a website for a friend, ive finished with the design and im happy with the layout. However i dont want to use JavaScript for the image swop (mouse over) for the navigation along the bottom of the header.

Ive searched on here and ive found some but ive not done a lot if any css and i was a tad lost :S

http://connordesign.comyr.com/ - Thats where the site is at the min

cheeers
    Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you're gonna die 2morrow!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Yeah, a lot has changed. We do not use javascript for rollovers anymore unless they are animated to fade in/out or slide up/down. (jQuery)

Hover is basic CSS.

http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/sel_hover.asp

If you are going to write the code for this site, you need to learn some basic CSS and HTML. We are moving into HTML5.

Oh, and some more bad news, we don't use tables anymore either... That is so 90's. Web 2.0
    is <div>'s and CSS.

You left out the <!DOCTYPE> and a lot of important <head> tags that tell the browser what to do with your code and what version of HTML/XHTML it is.

All that text should be text... not image. You might as well have just made the whole page 1 jpg and posted it centered...

If you need help writing the code, just ask... But you should do it right using HTML5, <div>'s and CSS to define the html.

<table> is for excel spreadsheet data ONLY! Not for images or text!

Here is a sample 2col template written in XHTMl, it will work for your purpose
    http://www.freecsstemplates.org/previews/stylized/

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks for the reply the webpage was made in photoshop and i uploaded it like that for you and my friend to see.

Im in the process of messing around with it.

Will i be able to align my website just like that using CSS only...

Thanks again

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    when you complete the layout in CSS and div's I'll help with the hovers...

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I havent a clue where to start, from what ive read you align your page using pixels is this right?

Member #
    wanted to thank the participants. exactly what i was looking for...thanks again

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Ok so i've done it i think lol, ive used the DIV tag and used some css... my problem now lies with a couple of things...

firstly the whole thing ive aligned it to the center of the page by copying some code from somewhere and it works lol... could some identify which bit did it lol

also... how do you make the whole thing hug the top of the window... ie no space above the header image...

oh and... i cant get the footer to fit across the bottom... i define its width and height and it appears really small.. weird and im now confused as it doesnt seem to want to span across the two other div tags...

can you add padding to div tags so my images arent right close to the edge of a column?

cheers

Remove Ads