Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello! I am a translator and am making myself a website. I know some Photoshop, so I designed it myself and now it's time to code it. I know some HTML and C++ and, as a mathematician, I am very good at making algorithms in normal, speaking language. All I need is the ability to express it in a programming language and I would like to know where I could start. I am very dedicated and a very fast learner, so it's ok if there is a lot to learn. This is roughly what I would like to be on the site:

- User registration

- Enable users to upload text files of all major formats (word, excel, pdf, powerpoint, etc.) via the main page or their account page.

- A step-by-step system where the user selects the services he needs, uploads a file and adds a few details about it. A word counter
    then automatically counts the words and shows, according to the level of complexity of the text chosen by the user out of a few preset options, the cost on a per word basis. The user, if not already logged in, will have to register to pay either by credit card or paypal.

- A way in which I can make files available to the clients once they are finished and a notification system that automatically warns them that their file is ready.

- Compatibility with as many browsers as possible.

- Automatic scaling up or down according to the user's resolution.

- A few animations.

- Automatically detect if the user can display animations and direct him to the appropriate version

I would like to know:

* what I need to learn to be able to implement all or most of that myself (programming languages, etc)
    * an estimate of how much it would cost to pay a professional to do all that
    * if there are any (preferably free) CMS that would help me or that I would need

For reference, here is the almost finished design. I will still change the logo and a few other details. http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/2231/previewegx.jpg

The animations I would need would be the white bar where the "Next" button is sliding to the left when the users clicks the button, and then a "Previous" button would appear on the left. The dialog box would expand and replace the "Welcome!" text and would also lose its "tail". I would also like the check marks to appear gradually from left to right when the user ticks a box.

I am sorry for the long post. Thank you very much for your attention!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I would start with the basic HTML/CSS. For the rest I suggest PHP with a MySQL database. The animations would be basic jQuery.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Wow, it appears as though you have thought this all through.

You've got a ton of questions ranging from design into development.

Might I suggest you break them apart, you'd be more likely to get answers and or suggestions to individual questions as to the whole project.

Starting out... You have the "display" or design part of it.

Since you already know what you want, I'd suggest XHTML & CSS for the design part.

For the functionality part, I'd suggest using php ( or a Linux based hosting provider )... This will allow you to take full advantage of being able to connect to a DB, as well as using session variables for user login and management.

The user management part would be accomplished using a DB like MySQL, and php to handle the transactions.

The animations ( not completely sure what you mean by that )... Mostly can be done with CSS , maybe a little JavaScript ... Or possibly JavaScript.

The word counter... Jquery or Ajax if you want direct user feedback...

Payment systems are completely standalone... You'll either need a merchant account... Or pay pal account or both.... But you'll need a functions site to even bother with that part.

Neither one of then actually care what you're selling or for how much.... You would basically handle all the calculations, totals, etc... On the site itself ... Once you have a total... Pay pal has a small script that you plug into your site to send that total to your account and allow the user to enter their payment info on the pay pal site... On e the transaction is complete, you can have the user sent to a specific page on your site. Most merchant accounts that I have dealt with have some sort of API for your use on your site... But many require you to have an SSL site to use it on your site... Otherwise they do things basically like pay pal.

Again,let me suggest if you have a specific question about anything, post them in an appropriate section here... You're more likely to get specific answers ... We have many people that are just designed focused ... And some that are more development focused... And only a few that I know of that actually do both...

Remove Ads