Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey everyone,
    Im building a site and im just wondering, is there anyway for me to insert text using css? i have a mobile site and a full site but i want the same info on both, so is there anyway i can just link them both to a css file that contains the info? I also would like to know how to make the site so you cannot take pictures and drag them onto your desktop or anything like that. Please Help

Member #
    You can insert text using the css content property but i dont think its the right approach for you to do that.
    You can find info on how that works here: http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/pr_gen_content.asp

Also here are 10 advices on how to prevent image stealing from your website : http://www.webresourcesdepot.com/10-...-being-stolen/

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    You can create your content in completely seperate pages.... Store them in a centralized location available to both the normal and the mobile site...

Then just use the proper include to insert the content into the pages where needed... Either on the normal or the mobile.

CSS is a used for style only....

If you want to include content dynamically or from a centralized location ( like this ), you'll need to use a server side scripting language like php, or asp or asp.net.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    As for "image stealing".... Technically... If it displays in the browser, it's already on the persons so computer in their temp Internet files... Anything you do is just going to slow them down, you won't stop them.

I have heard of people uploading images as "binary" blob files into a MySQL DB, then calling and rendering the image in the browser whenever the page is called... The problem with that is, this will drastically slow your page load times...

If you have images that you really don't want people copying / reusing ... Watermark them... So if someone reuses and redisplaya them, your watermark will be displayed... Most people won't bother taking them if the watermark is visible enough ...

Site scrapers only use the http protocol to request the pages, but they don't use a browser engine so JavaScript is useless against them... Again, if someone really wants your photos, they will get them

Most hosting providers utilizing php, have an apache mod-rewrite rule that can prevent hot-linking, but that's a completely different story...

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Webzarus knows what's up.

What you're asking is actually pretty easy to do with PHP.

1. <?php include information.php ?> in your document.
    2. In the field where you want to have this variable data, just <?php echo $variable ?>.

Also, php is cool because you can transform a website into a sort-of-template. Setup "includes" for areas that will be the same for all pages (menus, css+javascript references, footers, etc) and life will be easy.

As for protecting images, I haven't seen an impenetrable method. The best you can do is the Flickr method, where you put a transparent image over the picture of you use the picture as a background image. Still, anyone can still use print screen, find locations via code, or find it through browser cache. YOUR IMAGES ARE MINE!:devil: Jk.

-R

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom McBrien, post: 240164
    I also would like to know how to make the site so you cannot take pictures and drag them onto your desktop or anything like that. Please Help
    People will always find a way - I've even had clients send me images that they have tried (not very successfully) to remove the watermarks from, and they swear they bought them "somewhere"! I won't use those images and I make it very clear in my contract that proof of copyright permission must be provided with all images.

That said - I sort of agree with Jeffrey Zeldman when he says - "don't worry about people stealing your design work - worry about the day they stop!"
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Before I put any images up for a client ( images that aren't part of the site design )... I embed a very light watermark... Then update all of the meta data on the file itself, with a copyright claim.

If it's an image that actually needs legal documentation of copyright.

Once the image has been uploaded to the site, a screen shot ( with the PC system clock showing the date & time) is immediately taken of the site and the image ( in use ), and that all goes into the client files of which he gets a copy once the project is complete. The timestamp on the file and the screenshot showing the same time and date, are legally irrefutable proof of copyright )

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 240244
    Before I put any images up for a client ( images that aren't part of the site design )... I embed a very light watermark... Then update all of the meta data on the file itself, with a copyright claim.

If it's an image that actually needs legal documentation of copyright.

Once the image has been uploaded to the site, a screen shot ( with the PC system clock showing the date & time) is immediately taken of the site and the image ( in use ), and that all goes into the client files of which he gets a copy once the project is complete. The timestamp on the file and the screenshot showing the same time and date, are legally irrefutable proof of copyright )
    What a great idea - consider it totally stolen by me.
    I have recently had a run-in with Masterfile about an image a client gave me to use in one of my demo sites - the image was actually a part of a composite image the client had created, and was online in a sub-subfolder of my site for less than a month. This caused hours of hassle with documents and registered letters etc, and ended up actually costing money to put it to rest. It is to be avoided at all costs in the future. Your method will go a long way towards that end!
    Thanks so much!
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Yeah, been there, done that. I had a client that provided some images he wanted to use.

He had told me he got them from a royalty free site... Actually showed it to me, and according to the site, the image was free to use.

It was on the site for almost a year, when my client got an email threatening a lawsuit. Went back to the royalty free site, image was no longer on that site, so he ( the client couldn't prove he got it legitametly ).... Later a lawyer friend told me, had he or I done a screen cap showing the image in use on the "royalty free" site, showing date and time... He would have been covered.

So even images gotten "legally", ( if they are not your images ), should have proof of when, where and how you came to use the image, as well as any circumstances for use.

Yeah, it takes a little time, for something you may never use, but, if you've been through it, or been threatened by a law suit...

Remove Ads