Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I can't seem to get my head around the positioning of images/navigation etc. so that the website is functional when resized. For the record, I'm not talking about responsive.

I want to be able to achieve what this website does so when it gets resized, it pushes to the left and doesn't go any further when reaching a certain point so you can view the content.
    My website however goes offscreen and my navigation icons move to the next row as seen below.

Could anyone provide any assistance on what I should be doing?
    I understand that I may have to use percentages to create the liquid layout but I need someone to tell be specifically what I need to be changing etc.
    I can provide the HTML and CSS if anyone is willing to look at the code and address what I should be specifically doing to fix the layout of my website.
    Please and thankyous

Member #
    I use tables and layout regions for building my webpages. I experienced the same issue when I used only masterborders to build my pages.

Check my website what happens if you scroll, I believe this is what you want!
    http://valcompwebdesign.nl

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    The term "liquid layout" can be interpreted multiple ways...

I gave up a long time ago on trying to "make everything" resize as with so many different browsers and mobile devices, it's just too painful for the little benefit, it can also backfire on you, where a user adjust their browser to a point or someone on a mobile device that doesn't support all the CSS, basically crashes and makes everything too small to read, or just ....

What I typically do for a liquid site, is make the content container the main "adjustable" portion of the design.

You first need to determine what the "minimum" width that your design will display properly at.

Once you know that, you can create a "wrapper" around the entire layout, use CSS to set a min-width so of the browser gets below a certain point, it stops pushing all your elements downward and puts a scroll bar at the bottom of the browse.

Once you have that working, then you can adjust your conent areas using a % to adjust based on the browser size.

Remove Ads