Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hey guys,

I am designing another external web portfolio for my new freelancing company and I am needing a little help on how to actually code it. Here is a picture of it:

So I have some gradients, obviously, and I'm not sure how to do that. Also, how can I do the unordered list in two columns as I have under "What I do"? Another thing is that the quote bar is actually a javascript of random quotes. I have the javascript code but I am not sure if I can use that.

Can someone help me with the code? What images do I need? How can I keep the gradients?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Anyone?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    So I guess the obvious question is...

If you're gonna open a freelance webdesign business .... Why are you asking ?

Seriously, the picture layout can be done wih simple basic design components of HTML and CSS.

If you don't know that, or don't know how to do that, perhaps you should put your business venture on hold until you do.

Sorry if that's not what you want to hear, but way too many people think if they can make a picture, slice and dice it with software, and publish it, they can run a web design business.

There's a whole lot more to it than that, and you don't even know the basics ?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Answer to your question like Webzarus said is plain and simple CSS and HTML. I can recommend a book for you which has been great for me.

CSS the missing manual

and well to be honest thats all ive read lol well alongwith some jquery books but thats another chapter lol

however..

the unordered lists are as simple as inserting the below into a div...

Code:
    <ul>
    <li> text 1 </li>
    <li> text 2 </li>
    <li> text 3 </li>
    </ul>
    oh and to style it you use CSS

Javascript random quotes is kinda old in my opinion i might get told to wind me neck in but i did that years ago and to be honest is kinda tacky for a webdesigner Id have to check but im not sure if browsers will let you use it, you can do better with php.

Oh and the gradients you can either change into a image that is as small as possible to do the job. Or if its a solid color,,, you guessed it CSS

Oh and if you dont want to buy a book, google CSS tutorials and you will find LOADS!

Hope this helped.
    Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you're gonna die 2morrow!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 241838
    So I guess the obvious question is...

If you're gonna open a freelance webdesign business .... Why are you asking ?
    Because I'm a beginner and really doing this mostly for practice.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    PS, My problem isn't the HTML or CSS, it is the image slicing. Which images do I need and how do I save the gradients?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    #1- forget about slicing and dicing an image and making website from it.

#2 - use the image only as a reference to build out your HTML and CSS layout.

Everything on the page can be done with CSS and HTML and a few small images that you have

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 241875
    #1- forget about slicing and dicing an image and making website from it.

#2 - use the image only as a reference to build out your HTML and CSS layout.

Everything on the page can be done with CSS and HTML and a few small images that you have
    OK, so how do I do the gradients in CSS and HTML? Also, how can I do that Read More, My Portfolio, and other buttons that I have?

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Here you go, check out these simple to watch tutorials: http://www.developphp.com/list_production_video.php

I always share this link with people that are having the same problem I had when I first started out and this video series helped me immensely and I am sure it will help you as well.

The first video shows you how to break down your template design to prepare it for coding which is what you need to do with your design now.

The only thing I would change is when you code it, code it in divs instead of tables but he does it that way for ease of tutorial and he explains that.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    CLICKY CLICKY

I use CSS for all my gradients

http://www.colorzilla.com/gradient-editor/

If you need to know how to implement this just ask.
    Ill help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads