Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi,

First of all, thanks for all the help you have given me in other occasions.

I´m trying to build a basic site using html and css and (as always) it looks ok in SAFARI, FIREFOX and CHROME, but terrible in IE. This browser is driving me mad. Everytime I have built a site I have had problems with it, and I really wish they ditched that browser for good.

Well, could somebody please tell me why some of the elements in the site look out of place in IE?

http://www.pedaldoc.com/html/mainpag...sh/master.html

Many thanks in advance,

Iván

• [SIZE=10px]0[/SIZE]

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Sorry. Im on a mac here.
    But that is really cool. So the customer can pretty much built his own pedal?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Well, it doesn't look all terrible in IE9 compared to Chrome, just small differences. A screenshot of your IE view would be helpful.

As far as I know, one of the most common problems with IE8 and lower are that older versions of IE handle margin and padding properties slightly differently. Most of the browsers think that margin and padding are added to the element's defined width, as the standard, but IE8- defines them as part of the element's defined width.

Another common problem is that images that are used as links display borders around them in IE as in your page, but it can be easily fixed with:
    a img{ border: 0; }

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Im on an iPhone so I have no idea what you think is out of place, but I'd did see something in your CSS the IE won't play nice with... When you use absolute positioning you are required to define top and left poation. When you use relative positioning, the relative is in relation to the parent. Don't use position declarations in relatively placed DIVS.

You should probably run your code through a CSS validator to remove any other non-necessary coding.

The trick with ie ( less what has already been mentioned above about the definition of margins and padding ), is make sure not just your CSS , but your HTML validates. Until it validates, a lot of times you'll just be guessing at the problem, and since this happens every time... Here's a suggestion, when you're testing and developing , use ie for testing, the sooner you catch your issues, the sooner you learn to code for all browsers.

Cross browser design is not a fallacy or myth, it happens when you spend enough time to learn to design with all browsers in mind.

Me personally, I code to work with all standards compliant browsers, then I take a copy of the working CSS, and make adjustments for IE, then depending on what browser I load the appropriate CSS file.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Looks the same to me in Chrome and IE 7-9
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Thanks so much for your help. I have already run the site through a html validator and everything is fine. It said the border=0 tag was wrong, but I think I will end up using it all the same. I will run it through a css validator and check what is wrong then and I will try to work with padding and relative and absolute position.

For Edmarks: you don´t get to build your own pedal, but to modify a pedal you already have so it sounds much better. The previous Pedaldoc site is about 8 years old (www.pedaldoc.com) and it started to show its age almost 3 o 4 years ago, so I am rebuilding it.

Many thanks again,

iván

Remove Ads