Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I'm trying to create my own automatically updating news aggregate site (in the spirit of the drudge report) with an online news magazine appearance. Basically, I want it to be just a bunch of links to news items but with a somewhat huffington post look. I'm using google news rss feeds and rssinclude.com for most of the feed boxes. But my css is not the best and the feed boxes move down in smaller browser windows. Does anyone have any tips on how I can make this work better and pull this off? Basically, any advice you can share that you think will improve what I'm trying to do.

Here is the URL: thedailysearch.com

The thing is, I know of a video distribution company that pays you to host their news video content and that means, if I can get this to work and make it presentable, I will have an automatically updating news script people will be able to monetize and make money from. i'd be willing to share this script with anyone who can help me improve it... Thanks...

P.S. Also it would be helpful I think if you can let me know how the site looks in your browser.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    You might want to add some nicer formatting instead of just whoing the plain information - it's a bit intimidating to look at right now lol

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shovenose, post: 242872
    You might want to add some nicer formatting instead of just whoing the plain information - it's a bit intimidating to look at right now lol
    yes, I plan to add more dynamic content later but right now I'm struggling with how to keep the design stable in smaller browser windows.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Typically, you're gonna run into 3 classes of browsers that you've got to contend with on layout issues and differences.

Standards compliant browsers ( most modern browsers )
    Non- standards compliant ( IE8 and below, some older versions of others as well )
    Mobile browsers

Most design firms that are concerned with those 3 will actually create 2 layouts and 3 stylesheets

1 layout for browsers ( using different stylesheets for compliant and non-compliant ), and one layout for mobile. Using some server side detection, redirect browsers for the appropriate layout and of stylesheet.

As browsers change, you can update the necessary stylesheet or layout to accomodate while not affecting the other.

Remove Ads