Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello,

I am designing my first website and running into some confusion with fonts. I am doing everything in notepad using XHTML and CSS. I have attached the logo that the website will have on its main page. That logo uses a special font, it looks like it is "codex" according to a fond analyzer site that I used. So my question is: what is an easy way to use that same font for my website (please limit your answers to HTML and CSS code)? Oh and also I want to do this for free (I don't wanna buy fonts, if at all possible)

What fonts are available by default?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Unless you made the logo yourself, you are going to have a hard time trying to figure out the exact font. The Logo looks hand drawn or just poor quality. But I would recommend going to http://www.google.com/webfonts or http://www.fontsquirrel.com/ which makes it easy to add free fonts to your website. They even give you the codes you need to add to your CSS to make the fonts work properly on your website.

With this in mind I sometimes design logos with fonts I find on Google Fonts and then I incorporate that font with the rest of the website to tie it all together. So the probably you have here is you don't know what font it is, who knows if it is a free font.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm not sure what font that is myself, but what Fireproofgfx said.

The one thing I'd add to that is to be sure that the font can be used for embedding in websites. Not all fonts carry that license. If you want a quick check, IE will quite often avoid displaying fonts that they know are unlicensed.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thanks guys! Just so you know, I did not design the logo and I am just trying to make the site compatible with the logo, that's why I wanted to use that font...

Is there a link or a site that lists what fonts are available for me in CSS?

I am basically changing the font using "font-family" in my CSS code. Is there a better way of doing that?

Thanks again!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Again, fontsquirrel.com would be your best resource. However, be advised that just because a font is listed there doesn't mean it's okay for web use. The only way to find out is try it and see if it's okay. If it seems funny, Google the font and see if there's a license issue associated with it.

I know that probably isn't what you wanted for an answer, but it is the best answer I can give.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Because he's not designing the logo. If you're going to bump a post, at least read the thing first and understand the question.

Remove Ads