Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey, I'm brand new to web design and was working with a few ideas on how I'd go about posting updates on to my webpage. I have almost nothing set-up, but that's how I want the site to be; simple. All it is on the main page is a box with a width of 900 px and a height of 500px that has overflow:scroll all put in it.

So, my question is how do I create a format to post things into this box that include date and time and put the most recent post's at the top of the box?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    At the easiest, you could use a server side scripting language to save your content to a text file... Then pull the text file into the page using includes.

A little more along the lines of real content management... You'd used a DB BACKEND, and some server side scripting to pull the data into the page.

If its a simple page like you tried to define, you could probably get away with the first option with very little scripting knowledge.

Member #
    Wht do you suggest as far as language as program to do this, my knowledge on javascript and PHP is very basic but I've got no trouble in picking up a book

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    It all depends on the server that you plan on using.

Typically, if you're on a Linux based server, PHP is the supported server side language.

If you're on a windows based the asp or asp.net is the language.

Remove Ads