Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hey Guys and Girls,

Okay so in my entire web design experience I have never seen this happen and I can't seem to find a fix for this so I need your help.

Basically all of the links and pictures with links in my html page are using the css rules applied to my navigation bar. All links and pictures are outside of the navigation div's but it still keeps adpoting its rules. The CSS rules in my navigation elements give it a width of 120px with left and right padding of 10px, all links and pictures with links that have been visited now get the 120px width and 10px padding. I've tried to create separate rules for the links and images but they keep using the navigation class css rules. I can't find a way round it.

This is a website I am currently developing so it is not finished.
    You can visit it here: http://jamessims.co.uk/dyl (It displays fine in every browser, but the problem exists in IE8, I'm not sure what its like in older version of IE)

I've attached my CSS and HTML code

If you can help me it will be much appreciated!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I think its because you're using a "strict" doc type and inline CSS styling ...

The strict doc type doesn't support inline styling.

You can try just changing to a "transitional" doc type

OR

Put all of your CSS styling I an external page and load it... Or move your inline styling to the top of the page where you've included your twitter styling rules

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 244156

The strict doc type doesn't support inline styling.

You can try just changing to a "transitional" doc type

OR

Put all of your CSS styling I an external page and load it... Or move your inline styling to the top of the page where you've included your twitter styling rules
    Okay thank you very much for the prompt reply, I will try this out and get back to you!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 244156

The strict doc type doesn't support inline styling...
    Okay so I tried changing to transitional doc type, moving all my CSS to an external file and moving my inline styles to the top of the <styles> section in my html doc but the problem still remains.

I've attached two images, how it should display (IE9, Chrome, FF etc..) and how IE8 is displaying it.
    ALL links and pictures with links that have been visited for some reason use the CSS rule for my navigation bar.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    The page you referenced before is still showing all the inline styling and the strict doc type.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 244161
    The page you referenced before is still showing all the inline styling and the strict doc type.
    No I tested everything you specified and changed it back after it didn't work

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    And you checked your source to make sure a "cached" version was not being loaded ?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 244163
    And you checked your source to make sure a "cached" version was not being loaded ?
    Yup I cleared my temporary internet files and refresh multiple times?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    But unless you shut down all your browser sessions it was still "in memory"...

And... Some ISP's "cache" web pages... So if there are bits still in memory.. You may have gotten parts of the cache.

Point being, I don't know you, your skill level, etc... I looked at page posted.. Told you what I thought.

You "said" you made the changes... But since I can't actually see them... I can't see what you did or didn't do... And you assume what I told you was wrong.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 244163
    And refreshing your browser is not "checking the source"...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads