Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Good afternoon guys

I am currently developing a website for someone, and this client wanted the ability to view the whole page nicely on a smart phone without the need to zoom/scroll. I have explained this is just not possible as a website could be 1000px wide, fit on to a screen about 2 inches across, the whole page can display but you WILL have to zoom in in order to be able to read the content, or they can have it zoomed in enough to be able to read the text but they will have to scroll to see the rest of the content.

I have decided that I could attempt to develop a mobile version of the website, that perhaps loads just a vertical list of links that open the content when pressed etc

Does anyone have any tutorials on how to develop a mobile website, and how to switch to the mobile version when the URL is loaded from a smart phone etc...

I am totally new to mobile development so this would be a great learning tool.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    #1. You're wrong, it can be done but depending on the actual site and its content... It can be very difficult to do effectively.

#2. Depending on your clients target market a "full blown" mobile site may not be the answer.

#3. Take 30 seconds to actually research the "browser detection" methods, there are literally hundreds of different ways of doing it.

A mobile "sub" section ( that any mobile browser is redirected to ) may be the answer and most times, the design can be completely XHTML and CSS ... But again, this is all dependant on your client and or their target audience.

Remove Ads