Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Are flex boxes still used in CSS or are they outdated?

PropertyDescriptionCSS
    box-align Specifies how to align the child elements of a box 3
    box-direction Specifies in which direction the children of a box are displayed 3
    box-flex Specifies whether the children of a box is flexible or inflexible in size 3
    box-flex-group Assigns flexible elements to flex groups 3
    box-lines Specifies whether columns will go onto a new line whenever it runs out of space in the parent box 3
    box-ordinal-group Specifies the display order of the child elements of a box 3
    box-orient Specifies whether the children of a box should be laid out horizontally or vertically 3
    box-pack Specifies the horizontal position in horizontal boxes and the vertical position in vertical boxes 3

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Hey,

This article will explain a little more about what types are supported and used, and which are outdated and not used.

Hope this helps.

http://css-tricks.com/old-flexbox-and-new-flexbox/
    Reza O likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by labforone/Ben, post: 244548
    Hey,

This article will explain a little more about what types are supported and used, and which are outdated and not used.

Hope this helps.

http://css-tricks.com/old-flexbox-and-new-flexbox/
    So are they useful to learn? Or something that rarely gets used? I am trying to learn it using the 2009 method and it's very confusing and I am wondering whether or not I should skip learning it if not useful.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Hi,

Its completely up to you and your preferred method of design, i personally do not use them, and never have. In some instances it maybe useful to use them, I am not sure how well they will perform on IE, and with firefox you will need to use moz-transition, for the transitions. I have just found another article for you which will walk you through using these, with some cool examples, if you already fammilair, ignore it.

Hope this has helped.

http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/flexbox/quick/
    Reza O likes this.

Remove Ads