Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I have heard there is relatively new technology that allows for multiple fonts that don't need to be default ones that come with windows. The code uses online fonts instead of looking locally for users fonts installed of their pc. My question is basically what are the limitations if any and where can I learn how to incorporate this in my own sites?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    nufftalon likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thank you. You got me 90 percent of the way there. This is exactly what I was looking for https://developers.google.com/webfon...etting_started

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I like to use http://www.fontsquirrel.com/ and generate the @font-face kit to host on the server. This option allows me to use the font in Photoshop when I am creating the mockup.
    nufftalon likes this.
    Freelance Web Developer

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Nice this is even better thank you.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Be careful with FontSquirrel, though. It's a very good resource; however, certain fonts (e.g. Adobe's Myriad font family) can't be used with FontSquirrel. If you try to upload them in some cases, you'll get a warning saying you can't use them. Some of them can even be uploaded, but won't work because of license issues. IE7, of all things, has a knack for being able to detect and not display unlicensed fonts.
    nufftalon and ekim941 like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks for the heads up. I will have to do some further research and demonstrations when I get a chance. I found this cool article if anyone wants to have a read http://webdesign.tutsplus.com/articl...ement-methods/

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I probably should have mentioned licensing. You'll want to look closely at the licenses on fontsquirrel. I'm cheap and tend to look for fonts that are free for commercial use. Some of them are for personal use only while others require you to link to the author or buy a license.
    TheGAME1264 and nufftalon like this.
    Freelance Web Developer

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ekim941, post: 245172
    I probably should have mentioned licensing. You'll want to look closely at the licenses on fontsquirrel. I'm cheap and tend to look for fonts that are free for commercial use. Some of them are for personal use only while others require you to link to the author or buy a license.
    I'm pretty cheap like that myself. I generally try to get them directly from fontsquirrel or google web fonts. That way, you know they're free and licensed for commercial use.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Adobe Edge Web Fonts is another choice; I just learned about them this week.
    http://www.edgefonts.com/
    Ronald Roe likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads