Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi there. I am working on a html page for a client for his gaming server on Garry's Mod on steam. I have created exactly what he has asked for and he is happy with the result. But a couple of people have said their loading screens are slightly out of line.

The image it'self fits nicely in all compatible resolutions but the .gif image and text is either perfectly in place or completely out of alignment, so much so that it's off the screen entirely. Have I over looked something or is there a simple code I have forgot to insert to make it automatically adjust to all resolutions?

Anyone able to help? Here is the FULL html code in pastebin: http://pastebin.com/mLcbGASZ

Thanks for your help!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That can't be the right code, dude. You wouldn't even have a page if you used that code.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Ahhh. Then I think I see your problems.

You've got a PHP tag ... <?php ... on a non-PHP page. That's invalid HTML. I thought it actually was a PHP page, which wouldn't have loaded at all with the rest of your code.

Take that out and declare a doctype: http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_doctype.asp

There are other things you may need to do, but here's a start.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    That worked in some form. Everything is now in the correct place so that side is sorted. Now my only issue is; is it possible to have the page re-size automatically?

For example, If it's set for a 1080p resolution can it automatically be adjusted to the user's native screen resolution.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    1080p isn't a "web screen" resolution. The resolution is horizontal x vertical.

Your next big problem is one a lot of people make, so I don't find fault in it anymore...it's that you're using absolute positioning to position things. There's a place for absolute positioning...when you want to break the document flow and put something in a specific place. The problem with doing that is that when things such as page height are calculated, absolute positioning isn't factored in since you've taken it out. So use it sparingly.

In your particular case, what you probably want is this: html {height: 100%; width: 100%;}. You can apply it to body as well, but html should suffice. Once you've done that, start trying to get rid of as many of the absolutely positioned elements as you can...you'll probably have to leave the preloader bar deal, but the rest don't need it.

Member #
    Right, I'm starting to lose the will to live here haha.

I've spoke to someone who has some knowledge on this and he says it's not worth it. And to try and make the image smaller and scale it up. What do you think?

I don't know what to do now... either I've burnt out or I don't know at all what I'm doing. Pretty sure it's the first one though (hopefully).

Here is the newest version of the code: http://pastebin.com/HpAT6XJu

Am I even in the right place?

Thank you so much for your help! Really do appropriated it.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Look at it this way...you've already come this far, so you might as well see it through.

You might have to do a "parallel startover", where you create a new blank page and add the elements in one by one until you start hitting errors and things you don't want to see, but I'd say you're pretty close now.

Remove Ads