Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hi there,

I was wondering what is the best way to implement the title and alt on a linking image.
    An img-tag can have both the title and alt attributes, an a-tag can only have the title attribute.
    When linking an image what is the best way to implement the title-attribute?
    Should I put it on both the img and a-tag or just one of the two?
    Host1Plus.com USA | UK | Germany | South Africa | Brazil | Netherlands | Lithuania | sales@host1plus.com
    Powerful VPS Hosting SSD caching | IPv4 & IPv6 | 2 free backups | DNS management | 500 Mbps uplink
    Cloud Servers - Powerful API KVM Virtualization, Windows and Linux | 1 Free Ipv4
    Reseller Hosting Unlimited domains, sub-domains, databases | Free dedicated IP

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Personally, I only use the alt tag if an image is involved in a link... If no image is involved, but I think a title would help users identify...

I've seen people try to exploit the title tag as a way to shove in more keyword phrases onto their pages, but as more and more people do it, expect it to be ignored and if abused, expect it to be a point of penalization by search engines.

From a standards, you should always use the alt tag on an image, regardless of link or not. Using a title tag will provide users a "tool tip" if they hover over a "non image link" or element, but be careful, search engines are getting more and not sophisticated and can tell the difference between you trying to provide a better user experience, and just trying to increas your keyword density.

Just my opinion though

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks for your answer
    Host1Plus.com USA | UK | Germany | South Africa | Brazil | Netherlands | Lithuania | sales@host1plus.com
    Powerful VPS Hosting SSD caching | IPv4 & IPv6 | 2 free backups | DNS management | 500 Mbps uplink
    Cloud Servers - Powerful API KVM Virtualization, Windows and Linux | 1 Free Ipv4
    Reseller Hosting Unlimited domains, sub-domains, databases | Free dedicated IP

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Attributes. They're not tags. They're attributes. A carbuncle on the backside for WZ!

That really depends on how you're linking the image and if you're using something such as the jQuery lightbox that requires a title attribute for the link in order to describe it when the image is zoomed in on. My own rule is to use an alt attribute for images and the title attribute on the link only when required.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads