Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello there,

I have an online business. Someone else (not in my team) created this site for anyone to use: [Edit: link removed as per forum rules. AlphaMare.]

And all anyone has to do is change out their user name at the end. (mine is LorraineP), and the "Join" button and "More Details" buttons go to that persons affiliate site.

I know a little about web design, but I cannot figure out how to duplicate this type of site for my team.

If you could possible lead me to the terms I even need to search for, that would be appreciated

(I didn't want to post the actual link, cuz that may be considered spam, and I'm not recruiting here!)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorraine P, post: 246456
    (I didn't want to post the actual link, cuz that may be considered spam, and I'm not recruiting here!)
    Regardless of what you intended, the link did post, and led to a very suspect "get rich quick" affiliate site...

Perhaps if you could describe the site in more detail, we could help you out, although to be honest, it is generally frowned upon to duplicate someone else's site. You probably meant you'd like to do something with similar functionality, right?
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Yes, I have no desire to copy their page, just the functionality. I apologize for the actual link posting. I saved it, then went back and tried to edit the link.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    That's OK - you're new here and we try to be tolerant -

Can you decribe the actual functionality you want to have? Are you talking about a site where people can create accounts and have mini-sites?

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Well....to use the page/URL, I only had to remove the existing username, and replace it with mine. No registration to use the page.
    ht tp://ww w.XXX XXXXXXXXXX. net/1/?s1=LorraineP

then the buttons on that page would go to my affiliate site with same username, completely different URL.

Thanks for the hall pass And the help! Hoping the XXXX isn't an actual site! LoL

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    What you're asking isn't actually a design question, but a development (programming) question. The ?s1=LorraineP is called a querystring, and is used by a server-side programming language (that's a language used to do database code and provide dynamic information on web pages...HTML and Javascript, by comparison, are called client-side languages) to generate the output for a web page.

So, the short answer to your question is "learn a server-side programming language such as PHP, ASP.net, or ASP."
    The slightly longer answer to your question is "spend at least a couple of years mastering PHP, ASP.net or ASP before you even think about trying what you're thinking about."
    The other answer you have is "pay a programmer to help you." However, if you're dealing with the lower end of affiliate marketing as Mare suggests, you're going to have a tough time finding a programmer.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I need to :
    1. Design the splash page...which I can do in html ....then
    2. Hire someone to plug in the needed ASP aspects for the functionality I want.

I'm going to look around to see if there is a hiring section on this forum.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorraine P, post: 246486
    It's here: http://www.webdesignforums.net/forum...arketplace.33/

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorraine P, post: 246486
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I need to :
    1. Design the splash page...which I can do in html ....then
    2. Hire someone to plug in the needed ASP aspects for the functionality I want.

Just so you don't get mixed up, ASP is only one example of a server-side programming language. There are several that can easily do the trick, and it really comes down to what other features you might want besides just a cookie-cutter website.

Different languages also have different requirements (e.g. ASP and ASP.net have to be hosted on a Windows server to perform as intended).
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads