Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have run my website for a good 5 years now but it's becoming too big, my friend had a website where he only needed to edit the template at the moment i have to edit every single page and i have 200 plus pages it take me ages to sort it out for minor update.

ideas how to make a template for this.

can anybody help me, you would be a life safer

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Actually, if you already have that many pages, its not going to be an easy task...

The easiest thin for you to do at this point is create some of the common items that are on each page, like header, footer, navigation... And make them as separate files, the you'll need to edit each page, remove those sections and add back in the pre-made files as includes...

And even this might not be the answer. Without knowing more details, its not an easy fix.

Perhaps an editor that has the "find/replace" function might be a better answer at this point, but again, without more details...

Years ago, I had a site that was static pages ".html", that grew to close to 500 pages, I was using dreamweaver as the site editor, so I used the find / replace tool to make navigation changes... But that only works if your code is 100% identical on all pages.

If you're pages are already .php or .asp or .aspx or .shtml , then you may be able to use "included" to manage the changes.

All depends on your answers to:

Are the pages static ( ending in .html or .htm )
    What hosting platform are you on ( windows or Linux )
    What editor are you using for making / editing pages ?

Member #
    here is my website: http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/

Are the pages static ( ending in .html or .htm ) :- My website is CSS & Html
    What hosting platform are you on ( windows or Linux ) :- Linux
    What editor are you using for making / editing pages ? :- notepad ++

I'm willing to spend a lot of time on this update to get it right, my friend who use it i cant remember what he used i think he used JavaScript and point the each text page to the template, i only got notepad++ i been trying to find free template where i could copy code it but i can only find CSS free templates.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Now the question would be .... Does the site get enough traffic to warrant keeping the files static or would it be more beneficial to you to make some changes that can and will affect search rankings and position?

If you choose to keep the files static ( .html ) files, you could use JavaScript to recreate your common areas, by either pulling them in an rewriting ( bad idea from a search engine standpoint ), but doable

Or you could use the find/replace in notepad++ update across all files and re-upload everything ( pain in the backside, but doable ).

If you don't care about search engine rankings or can put 301 redirects on the server to point the search engine to the new pages... That would be the preferred method... For management and search engine sanity.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    It's very hard to create a template style website using notepad++ , if your fluent in PHP then writing your own CMS would be an excellent way of doing it but if you're not learning PHP to do this can be a headache, my advice, if you wish to keep your current design, is to upgrade your text editor to something like Dreamweaver, and use its library functions to section of your site. once an area, such as your footer, is stored as a library element, you update the element and it updates the whole site. it will cost to buy but it will be worth it in the long run.

Member #
    i made my website in php & used included i got 3 php files for the header, side bar and the footer

i used a code to remove the .php from my links

here my website now http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/index <<-- have i done it right or is there a better way?

Remove Ads