Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hello,

I would like to remove the table on this page http://www.entirefilingbankruptcy.co...cy-exemptions/ and replace it with a css / <div> alignment. Could someone point out how I'd go about making a 3 column table with css as opposed to using a <table> element?

Thanks a lot!

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    float:left;
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    That above post pretty much tells you nothing but try something like this
    Code:
    #content {
        background-color: #f2f2f2;
        border: solid 1px #e6e6e6;
        height: auto;
        width: 980px;
        margin-bottom: 10px;
    }

#content-left {
        width: 300px;
        float: left;
    }

#content-right {
        float: right;
    }
    wwwproperties likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks Jordan, have a nice day!!

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Diamond, post: 247426
    That above post pretty much tells you nothing but try something like this
    Code:
    #content {
        width: 980px;
    }

#content-left {
        float: left;
    }

#content-right {
        float: right;
    }
    That "above post" is the infamous Ronald:devil:
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Yurlov, post: 247452
    That "above post" is the infamous Ronald:devil:
    How do I have the reputation of Satan smiley? Sometimes, or in fact most times, helping someone means pointing them in the right direction. The guys said he want's to use divs and CSS. Clearly, I don't need to teach him how to use divs in HTML, since he knows to do it. Sizing divs is pretty simple. What else did Jordan do? Float:left; That's about it. He didn't explain what it means, so the OP still has to look up what it means, or worse he won't look it up and will never learn to clear the floats, which Jordan failed to mention. Instead, a quick Google search of Float:left; returns over 54 million results.

So, by dropping 1 line of CSS instead of writing 23 lines that aren't attached to any HTML, I said more than anyone else did.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe, post: 247456
    How do I have the reputation of Satan smiley? Sometimes, or in fact most times, helping someone means pointing them in the right direction. The guys said he want's to use divs and CSS. Clearly, I don't need to teach him how to use divs in HTML, since he knows to do it. Sizing divs is pretty simple. What else did Jordan do? Float:left; That's about it. He didn't explain what it means, so the OP still has to look up what it means, or worse he won't look it up and will never learn to clear the floats, which Jordan failed to mention. Instead, a quick Google search of Float:left; returns over 54 million results.

So, by dropping 1 line of CSS instead of writing 23 lines that aren't attached to any HTML, I said more than anyone else did.
    Lol idk about the smiley. It just felt right at the moment to put the Satan smiley

-Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Im assuming if he can code a site he is capable of learning these things himself so yes I did just drop a few lines of code with out explanation but I also helped him rather then typing one useless bit of code that will lead him down many different tracks.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Again, we're talking about 2 different kinds of help here. It's the old "teach a man to fish" adage. I'm all for writing exactly what someone needs if that's what the situation calls for. If you search through my posts, you'll find numerous times where I've done that. Some that took me considerable time to write. However, you have a dude who doesn't know how to make a columnar layout. The code you wrote, which would work more or less, ties someone with little knowledge to a set of CSS rules they likely won't understand, and when they break it, which they will eventually, they'll have no idea how to fix it. On the other hand, instead of spoon-feeding an answer if you point someone off in a direction where they can learn actual concepts, you've helped them far more.

That isn't to say that your approach is always wrong. It's better for higher level concepts and fixing existing broken code. It's better for the "I'm trying to use CSS animations, but it isn't working" situations. It's just not going to work for a situation where someone is trying to learn how to code basic layouts. Maybe you helped him with this one, but the very next one will come along, and he'll have no idea.

And take a second to consider your "useless bit of code" comment. That bit of code is the key to making the whole layout work. There's only one other way to do what he's trying to do right now (until flexbox gets finalized and implemented). And really, there's only one "track" it could lead someone down: learning how floats work. And the majority of that info will pertain to layout anyway.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe, post: 247516
    Again, we're talking about 2 different kinds of help here. It's the old "teach a man to fish" adage. I'm all for writing exactly what someone needs if that's what the situation calls for. If you search through my posts, you'll find numerous times where I've done that. Some that took me considerable time to write. However, you have a dude who doesn't know how to make a columnar layout. The code you wrote, which would work more or less, ties someone with little knowledge to a set of CSS rules they likely won't understand, and when they break it, which they will eventually, they'll have no idea how to fix it. On the other hand, instead of spoon-feeding an answer if you point someone off in a direction where they can learn actual concepts, you've helped them far more.

That isn't to say that your approach is always wrong. It's better for higher level concepts and fixing existing broken code. It's better for the "I'm trying to use CSS animations, but it isn't working" situations. It's just not going to work for a situation where someone is trying to learn how to code basic layouts. Maybe you helped him with this one, but the very next one will come along, and he'll have no idea.

And take a second to consider your "useless bit of code" comment. That bit of code is the key to making the whole layout work. There's only one other way to do what he's trying to do right now (until flexbox gets finalized and implemented). And really, there's only one "track" it could lead someone down: learning how floats work. And the majority of that info will pertain to layout anyway.
    You sure your not the one who wrote the "I have a dream" speech?

-Steve Jobs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads