Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I had this question regarding the usage of the css-command:

display: none;

Long story short, I've started reading up on responsive design for sites, and am currently underway of transforming my portfolio into something of a test run of a working premise of the responsive design- I was curious if anybody knew how the usage of the aforementioned command line affects loading times? Does the content simply not load, therefore speeding up the whole loading process? Or am I just using smoke and mirrors for hiding content that still gets loaded and slows down access from mobile devices?

Anybody got experience with tests with this in mind? I sadly have not the proper means for field testing, so I got to rely on an editor's preview option, which albeit looks good, still doesn't emulate a processor of a handheld device.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    All of the content still loads, so there is no benefit is page load from that. If your full size page is too heavy for mobile, consider using JS to selectively load elements.
    AlphaMare likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Ah, dangit. I feared as much. Guess I'll have to look into the javascript aspect of things. Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    There are a handful of emulators out there, but I haven't actually found one that accurately simulates loading and or browser display issues correctly. I think they are more to hel you determine if the layout is correct for the screen size of the device.

That being said, a popular method used by many for mobile device rendering is to actually have a cName ( http://mobile.yoursite.com OR http://m.yoursite.com ), use a browser/device sniffer on the main site, redirect as needed...

Then build out the site accordingly ( making less of a headache, and only displaying / loading content for mobile browsers ).... Most of your really complex sites to this route as they found trying to integrate code into their existing site to accomodate ( what to load /not load ), was counterproductive ... Since most have dedicated teams for mobile / standard site... Those 2 teams can focus on developing for their respective sites without concern for the other.

Member #
    I actually considered the device sniffer method, but currently so new to the whole Responsive Design thing that I haven't gotten around to finding a proper code snippet for a behind-the-scenes redirect.

Also, I checked out a few emulators, and got some solid numbers on my site:
    Average Load Time: 7.10s
    Average Page Size: 325.68kb

Seems some articles state that 10s is the average for the top 200 pages of the web. If there's any truth in that, then I might not be doing so bad keeping the site's size in check, despite the hidden flash and graphical elements.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Don't know where you get the 10 seconds from ( probably someone who's site takes 9 seconds to load ), I'm about on the 3 seconds for desktop... Maybe 4-5 on mobile... But usually not that patient.

If its a web or desktop based emulator, its not going to throttle your connection speed back to typical mobile connection speeds... So anything but the real deal ( an actual mobile device ), is gonna just be a guess at load times, etc.

I live on my phone and expect web sites to load a little slower, especially if I'm moving. If you search this forum for browser detection, you'll find the link I posted to a sniffer/redirection script.

I have used it on numerous sites with good results ... But again, I use the cName option for mobile display pages, that way if changes are made to the main site that have Johnny to do with the mobile display version, ... Or vice versa ...

Remove Ads