Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello,

New to thread, my apologies if I break any rules. I'm trying to add a page that's very similar to a Live Fantasy Football draft on my website, however I continually control the updates.

Basically, looking for a way to live update a 3 column by 20 row table instantly. I would input what's in the table and then the other 100 viewing the table would see what I have done to it (ideally without refreshing).

Is that possible, or am I out of my mind? Thanks a bunch.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Not without using some type of java applet, possibly Ajax, but using Ajax, you'll have to use a times refresh for viewing clients. Which means I won't be live and if you have say 100 people connected and all using a timed refresh ... You better plan on something more than a shared hosting plan.

Even using Ajax to refresh the page contents, you could have some resource ( CPU and memory ), issues and on shared hosting, they will pretty muh shut you down if you start pulling too many resources.

A java applet would basically keep each users DB connection open, query the table every few seconds to see if there was a change, if so display the updated data, if not, do nothing.

Remove Ads