Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi all,

I've been creating simple document data access rooms for the company I work for. This has been done using the password-protected folders in cpanel and then uploading a page with links to PDFs.

The company is now looking to have datarooms set up where the documents are only VIEWED and not able to be downloaded. As most of our docuemntation is usually PDF I am not sure how / if this can be acheived.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Technically, when they are viewed, they are downloaded.

When you open a document in the browser, all files are save to your temporary Internet files directory. There are ways to set the cache on some servers, so the temp file is deleted when the document is closed ( forcing the no-cache rule ), but really, if a user knows where to look, they can save a copy from there.

Being a PDF, I do not think there is an option to turn off the "save as" function.

That being said, using the current process ( standard linking process ), you can't keep a user from having access to the document.

There is however a possibility to use a 3rd party document viewer ( typically an activeX or java viewer ), embedded in the browser... Where the document is actually opened in a direct memory stream. I know of several HIGH END, very expensive document control systems that use JAVA to allow a user to view documents, but restrict saving and or printing based on the users access and permissions. This is typically not a "free" option.

Member #
    Thanks Webzarus!

Do you know the names of any 3rd party providers for this document viewer?

Regards,
    banj

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    eQuorum is the main one, its a spin off from XEROX image site from years ago. But they interface with wide format printing, etc. from engineered drawings.

Sure there are others... Might find some open source java based PDF readers ... But depending on age, may or may not work with the newer PDF formats.

Remove Ads