Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Normalize CSS

Member #
    What is normalize css?

What is reset css?

Which one is better........

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    The main difference between the 2.

A reset is used to REMOVE all default browser behaviors ( ie. if you don't set margins to 0 specifically in some browsers they add a default of 3px for you ). Since safari browsers can and will add more to a margin that hasn't been specifically set to 0. ( sometimes )... It can throw off a design significantly if you don't use a reset or remember to set all your margins to something.

Normalize is a set of CSS codes that attempt to make all default CSS settings the same, without having to define some of the browser default elements. It's actually been around a while, more people coding around html5 and CSS3 standards tend to go this route...

Supposedly there are some extra benefits when designing with html5, but personally I don't use either at his point.

As long as you define height, width, padding, margins on every DISPLAY element, you rarely need either. A reset is basically a quick an dirty way of defining the above on every element to start with... Then adding your definitons ( except for 0 ), to the display elements you do use.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    As to which one is better ? I guess that would be a preference to your design style.

Again, I was coding CSS long before the reset became popular, so I knew that you had to define the 4 mentioned above ( even if 0 ), to make thing as close as possible across many browsers. Now its just habit. If its a project that others are working on with me, we tend to go with a reset because that's just what they have been using.

Remove Ads