Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Can I create a simple link to an email address that will redirect the user to their gmail or yahoo or hotmail account and place the email address in the proper field for them? I recall this happening to me on a site once, but I don't know what site.
    (Who uses an external email client anyways? I'd rather not link the email and just type it out than to cause someones email client they don't use to pop open on them.)

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamalloy, post: 248621
    Can I create a simple link to an email address that will redirect the user to their gmail or yahoo or hotmail account and place the email address in the proper field for them? I recall this happening to me on a site once, but I don't know what site.
    (Who uses an external email client anyways? I'd rather not link the email and just type it out than to cause someones email client they don't use to pop open on them.)
    Why are you going down that route? Why not create a contact form? There are many free forms on the net, including jotform.

Alternatively using the mailto:email@address.here function will do the job.
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by m3n0tu18, post: 248698
    Why are you going down that route? Why not create a contact form? There are many free forms on the net, including jotform.

Alternatively using the mailto:email@address.here function will do the job.
    But if I do the mailto, it opens the mail program on my computer, that I dont use. Gmail, hotmail, yahoo email are more common than using a mail program, right?

I have not done a form before, and from what I remember from my last venture, requires php or one of those things. I suppose I will look into this jotform thing you mentioned though! (I just wanted to keep it simple)
    m3n0tu18 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    what you're talking about trying to do is called "cross site scripting", where one element on one site is calling an element on another site... completely doable, but many peoples browser settings are set to disable this kind of behavior as it can be seen as a browser security threat.

again, it's doable, CL has been using it with minimal success for about a year now, unless the user knows that is what is happening, they might freak and leave your site, or worse yet, if not done properly, the browser will pop up a security warning to the visitor.

Keeping it simple IS using a form. You can search this forum for "PHP Email script" for a basic script... then there is no question to the user.

even most beginners on the internet can navigate and fill out a simple contact form, so the FORM is the SIMPLE answer to your question.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    That jotform site is AH MAZING!
    Thank you so so much!

Should I feel guilty that I no longer have interest in learning how to make my own form?

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    See, with the PHP, doesn't it specify that you need either the linux or windows based hosting? I don't understand php at all, and the page you sent me to with the example looks so confusing. I don't know how to set a form up so that it actually sends the filled out form to an email address.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    php is typically on linux, I have it installed on my windows servers, but I don't have all the functionality enabled ( as would be on most windows hosting environments )

this is about as simple as it gets:

Code:
    <?php
    if (isset($_REQUEST['email']))
    //if "email" is filled out, send email
      {
      //send email
      $email = $_REQUEST['email'] ;
      $subject = $_REQUEST['subject'] ;
      $message = $_REQUEST['message'] ;
      mail("someone@example.com", $subject,
      $message, "From:" . $email);
      echo "Thank you for using our mail form";
      }
    else
    //if "email" is not filled out, display the form
      {
      echo "<form method='post' action='mailform.php'>
      Email: <input name='email' type='text'><br>
      Subject: <input name='subject' type='text'><br>
      <textarea name='message' rows='15' cols='40'>
      </textarea><br>
      <input type='submit'>
      </form>";
      }
    ?>
    1. copy the above code and paste it into a blank page for your site, or use a template that already has your header ( to make it look like the rest of your site )
    2. name the file mailform.php
    3. change the "someone@example.com" to the email address you want the message sent to.
    4. upload the file to your server.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamalloy, post: 248718
    That jotform site is AH MAZING!
    Thank you so so much!

Should I feel guilty that I no longer have interest in learning how to make my own form?
    Wow - jotform wants 10 bucks a month for something you can do for free in 10 minutes! I use form2mail - it's free and super easy to configure.
    m3n0tu18 likes this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare, post: 248851
    Wow - jotform wants 10 bucks a month for something you can do for free in 10 minutes! I use form2mail - it's free and super easy to configure.
    Yea Ive only used it a few times, only for an online questionare and you can use it for free I think.
    I have used form2mail when it first came out and it didn't work properly (then again I was new to design when it came out so it could of just been me lol) I shall check it again now, thanks AM
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads