Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I am planning a site and am doing my best to make it compatible. After a lot of reading and searching, here is what I think is correct:
    <!DOCTYPE html>
    <html>
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv=”X-UA-Compatible” content=”IE=Edge”>
    and using the yahoo yui reset css file
    I am new here and first searched the forums to see if this has been answered. I don't think it has, but my apologies if it was.
    Would love to hear if I am on the right track.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I'm assuming you're talking about "compatible" to evrything ?

What you've posted is a start, that's it.

What I always try to impress and stress to clients is. Take a look at your target market and weigh your options. Just saying make it compatible with everything is kinda ambitious not to mention highly unlikely.

Point in fact, there have been mobile browsers out there for over 10 years, many of the older dont run / won't run the JavaScript sniffers that people are trying to run to determine what to display. What do these browsers do when they can't read or understand something ? They ignore it, so they are useless.

Draw a line in the sand, determine what you want your design to be "compatible" with ? Smartphones and all browers, tablets and browsers ? You have to know what you want it compatible with and a way to actually test it.

I recently heard of a designer locally, I know of him, he does some decent work, but trying to break into the big times, he started promoting himself as all his designs are "responsive" which is just a buzzword for cross browser compatible... Anyway... He was promoting himself that way, got a few contracts... Now he's in deep do do, because his designs are broken on some tablets, and he can't seem to figure it out. Past I heard, he lost a 6 figure contract, and had a 6 figure judgement made against him for breach of contract.

There are literally thousands of resources out there to help you learn how to design with the most browsers in mind... A staggering amount of contradicting information too.

Just remember to draw a line... Make it degrade nicely for anything that doesn't meet that standard.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 248802
    I'm assuming you're talking about "compatible" to evrything ?

What you've posted is a start, that's it.

What I always try to impress and stress to clients is. Take a look at your target market and weigh your options. Just saying make it compatible with everything is kinda ambitious not to mention highly unlikely.

Point in fact, there have been mobile browsers out there for over 10 years, many of the older dont run / won't run the JavaScript sniffers that people are trying to run to determine what to display. What do these browsers do when they can't read or understand something ? They ignore it, so they are useless.

Draw a line in the sand, determine what you want your design to be "compatible" with ? Smartphones and all browers, tablets and browsers ? You have to know what you want it compatible with and a way to actually test it.

I recently heard of a designer locally, I know of him, he does some decent work, but trying to break into the big times, he started promoting himself as all his designs are "responsive" which is just a buzzword for cross browser compatible... Anyway... He was promoting himself that way, got a few contracts... Now he's in deep do do, because his designs are broken on some tablets, and he can't seem to figure it out. Past I heard, he lost a 6 figure contract, and had a 6 figure judgement made against him for breach of contract.

There are literally thousands of resources out there to help you learn how to design with the most browsers in mind... A staggering amount of contradicting information too.

Just remember to draw a line... Make it degrade nicely for anything that doesn't meet that standard.
    Ok i get it about the line in the sand. would you know if i have it right for desktops using ie7+ and firefox/opera/safari of the same age as ie7? the conflicting info out there is driving me crazy.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    If you do a search for "most popular browser" on google, the two top links have some interesting info.
    The first link is w3 and the statistics they show are from visits to their site. Chrome accounds for HALF their visitors. IE is less than 20%.
    Wiki has loads of different data from a few different sites. Some of them have about 50% IE users, some have closer to 10%.

Honestly, after looking at that, I am very surprised that Firefox has become so much less popular. According to w3, firefox peeked in 2009 and has been declining since. I hadn't realized chrome was so popular either. I've learned a lot this week about that!

If you add google analytics to your site, I believe it will tell you the browsers used to visit your site, so you can decide the priority of what browsers you need to be compatible with.

I have a question on the subject though. I'm on a mac, and can't install IE on it. How am I supposed to test my site for IE? Just find a friend to do it, or come here for help? (Lord, do I hate IE)
    m3n0tu18 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Adobe browser lab can show you what a design looks like for multiple browers.

As for stats on who's visiting your site... That all depends on the site and your target market.

Obviously, people visiting w3c sites are gonna be somewhat techie.. And are capable and do install wind update browsers. If the site is a recipe site, not so much.

Your site log files will tell you what YOUR visitor demographics are.

As for compatability with IE7, sorry no. Your basic code is a good start for HTML5 , IE 7 is hit or miss, but mostly miss on html5 . IE7 does support most XHTML and CSS 2.0 standards.

Personally, since you can't run ie7, ie8 & IE9 on the same machine, I use virtual machines for ie testing. Ie7 quirks are pretty well documented though, and most people use alternate CSS stylesheets for handling those differences.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I tried getting virtual machine on my computer, but could only get ie6 to install/work. 7/8/9 - the install fails. Maybe the site I was getting the code for terminal from was old?
    I can say this... the site I'm working on looks like crud in ie6, but just perfect in chrome, opera, firefox, and safari.

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamalloy, post: 248804
    If you do a search for "most popular browser" on google, the two top links have some interesting info.
    The first link is w3 and the statistics they show are from visits to their site. Chrome accounds for HALF their visitors. IE is less than 20%.
    Wiki has loads of different data from a few different sites. Some of them have about 50% IE users, some have closer to 10%.

Honestly, after looking at that, I am very surprised that Firefox has become so much less popular. According to w3, firefox peeked in 2009 and has been declining since. I hadn't realized chrome was so popular either. I've learned a lot this week about that!

If you add google analytics to your site, I believe it will tell you the browsers used to visit your site, so you can decide the priority of what browsers you need to be compatible with.

I have a question on the subject though. I'm on a mac, and can't install IE on it. How am I supposed to test my site for IE? Just find a friend to do it, or come here for help? (Lord, do I hate IE)

With my role in webdesign i have to make the site compatible with everything except ie6. Ie7 is a pain in the backside but have managed to fix issues.

Basically i use the skeleton framework for my designs, then have specific ie exceptions within the html file so that ie display nones some divs say the slideshow for instance.

I install the main browsers and as ie supports previous browsers I use f12 to switch them to check on the site.

Thankfully ie is dying so im am pleased with that a bit. But u still need to make sure it all works unfortunately.

Also i have a "you've got an old browser u muppet" message that appears for older browsers.
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Remove Ads