Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi,

I have a website which I'm working on and it renders fine on every platform apart from some Blackberry Curves and Bolds.

http://www.allendesign.ie/nz

The line is a horizontal purple line straight across the screen which stays in position when you scroll the pages.

Also, sometimes the page renders the CSS incorrectly but then correctly on a refresh.

If anyone has any ideas to why either of these issues might be happening I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Hm... I don't know, but I'd like to tackle this with you. Maybe I'll learn a little something.

What seems to be the issue on the Blackberry phones? What elements does it affect and which CSS stylesheet file contains the styles for the affected elements?

Member #
    Some BB phones render objects large and don't scale them down to fit the screen. Although if you then refresh the page they seem to sometimes render correctly.

On other BB phones there is a purple line with good stripes cutting across the screen which stays in the same position and doesn't scroll with the screen. There's nothing obvious in the coding to create this.

The main style sheet is style.css

Appreciate your help.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    The first thing I would recommend would be to try adding an overflow:scroll; to your .purpledivider or .purpledivider2 styles - I believe these are the styles related to the purple stripes.

Please post the styles here for the objects that are not being scaled down. Or let's start with one and see what we can find out. Are you using JavaScript or jQuery on these objects?

Member #
    jQuery is just being used on the banner images.

I've rewritten a CSS file that should solve the problem for the BB. Do you know how to specify a CSS file for just BB browser?

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    This is really brand new to me, so forgive me for failing even though I'm trying my best to help.

Let's try using a little JavaScript to detect the device's screen resolution.
    Code:
    var screenWidth = window.screen.width, var screenHeight = window.screen.height;
    Then, throw in an if statement to see if it is the size of the BlackBerry device (these devices should have the same screen size, and you should know what it is since you're targeting BlackBerry in particular).
    Pseudocode:
    if (the width is the width of BlackBerry && the height is of a BlackBerry device)
    (Change the stylesheet to another file)
    You would select the stylesheet element in jQuery/JS using the .href() method
    Code:
    $('stylesheet').href('NEW STYLESHEET.css');
    If you don't want to do this, there are some plug-ins available for download like WURFL . I believe the Google monster made a similar plug-in as well.

Hope that helps.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    There is a "mobile browser" detection script linked to in several of my post. It works for about 100 different mobile browsers.

Also,'most older mobile browsers barely handled JavaScript ... Anything other than basic JS, forget it.

What's the user_agent on the browser of the device ?

Remove Ads