Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi, I used this code. Is this the correct code that will work when uploaded with ftp because the first page never wants to come out correct, when uploaded.

<!DOCTYPE html>
    <html lang="en">
    <head>
    <meta charset="utf-8"/>
    <title>GHOST INVESTIGATORS<title>
    <style type="text/css">
    <meta name="description" content="Is their a ghost in your house"/>

body { etc.
    }

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    The meta tag shouldn't be inside of the style tag.

Hard to say what else is wrong without the full code. Where did you upload it to?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thanks, Should I put the meta tag first, then the style tag.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Yes.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Hi, thanks Game, Ivanov etc.
    But now, to open the server with notepad, its says got to plugins,- NppFTP - show Window in the menu.
    No window shows when I do this.
    Then it says, click the GEAR and select Profile Settings.
    The GEAR doesnt display

Oh, I was just thinking. maybe I should connect first, will that display the GEAR and NppFTP window.
    Will try that anyway.
    Thanks for the other help. Still want to break the big barrier, to have the first page correct on server,
    the site is now dead, and other sites have moved above me in the search engine.
    so, I guess I lost out on this one, and have learnt to first no exactly what your doing and have the site properly built and correct before uploading. Just wanted to get the feel of what its like to put your site online.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do with Notepad++, but I generally try to upload using FileZilla myself. One program for editing, one for uploading.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    That seems like a waste of time Game. I usually edit and and upload all at once.
    Once I make a change to my code and want to see how it look, I just hit Ctrl + S which saves and uploads to the server automatically. This way I can see whats happening live.

rainbow, once you get to the NppFtp window you have to set up the connection with the profile button when you press the "gear". Then you just hit connect and it should work.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Yurlov, post: 250704, member: 27580
    That seems like a waste of time Game. I usually edit and and upload all at once.
    Once I make a change to my code and want to see how it look, I just hit Ctrl + S which saves and uploads to the server automatically. This way I can see whats happening live.
    I guess you're much more confident than I am!
    I always edit and upload separately, and rename the file on the server before I upload, so in case I need to revert, I can go back easily.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Yurlov, post: 250704, member: 27580
    I also will only upload if I have a reason to. I work locally on my dev machine first, and then I upload changes all at once when I'm done.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Its a waste of time... Until you crap out a site because you did something wrong.

I worked on a team for a major corporation, it was my job to take developers code, proof it, test it, and only if everything works perfect, update the live site.

You'd think that developer making 6 figures knew what they were doing... NOT. More times than not, it took multiple iterations to get most updates right.

Point is... Why do people work on a development server ( me included ), and of rename old files ...( me again ).... To minimize impact to a live site that someone else is paying for. I have to explain enough to my clients about real issues and concerns, I don't need to create potential issues that I have to explain "is my fault"... I know better... And anyone that's been in this business any length of time dealing with paying customers knows these rules.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads