Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Thanks in advance for considering my question.

I am unable to successfully validate a page due to the following error message output from the validator.w3.org site:

"For the current document, the validator interprets strings like <FOO /> according to legacy rules that break the expectations of most authors and thus cause confusing warnings and error messages from the validator. This interpretation is triggered by HTML 4 documents or other SGML-based HTML documents. To avoid the messages, simply remove the "/" character in such contexts. NB: If you expect <FOO /> to be interpreted as an XML-compatible "self-closing" tag, then you need to use XHTML or HTML5. "

I have spent a couple days searching for a solution. The closing "/" is the culprit. The code is in two places on the page. One occurrence is Facebook code for social integration and the other is a FancyBox line of code. The FancyBox code will not work without the closing "/" and the Facebook code works whenever it feels like so I am not sure if the closing "/" is necessary. At least those have been my observations to-date.

I am using 4.01 Transitional EN:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd
    >

Is there a solution to this issue (there must be) ? Thanks again.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Change the doctype to either XHTML (Transitional or Strict) or HTML5. Chances are one or both of those codes were built with "modern" browsers in mind.

If that doesn't do it, post a link to your page and maybe someone will see something.
    SUP2morrow likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thanks. I appreciate your response. Not the answer I wanted to "hear".

Remove Ads