Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: IE Problem

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Right, I want something clearing up once and for all.
    Centering in IE!
    Yep, thats it.
    Now, first its a doctype issue, then its a margin: 0 auto; issue etc etc

On a previous project, I got this working with the following doctype:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
    This time, that's not working.
    I have even used body {text-align: center} wrapper {text-align: left;} but that has made things funny too.
    Will someone please once and for all give me a doctype to use and a method that will work for IE8.
    This is the site I am referring to this time:
    http://tinyurl.com/nal8s5y
    As you can see in Firefox it is absolutely fine, in Opera it is fine but in IE8 my wrapper is centered though the width and padding is screwed, my UL and slider is not centered etc etc

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It looks okay to me. Maybe you've got a cached copy in IE?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 251245, member: 428
    It looks okay to me. Maybe you've got a cached copy in IE?
    Thats IE for you, after 15 CTRL + F5 refreshes, I do this topic then go back to it and its fine!!!

While you're here though, is there any way of acheiving centre aligned content without having to do body aligned center then wrapper aligned left, ie a doctype or any way of it supporting margin: 0 auto?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by adrian jones, post: 251249, member: 28570
    Thats IE for you, after 15 CTRL + F5 refreshes, I do this topic then go back to it and its fine!!!

While you're here though, is there any way of acheiving centre aligned content without having to do body aligned center then wrapper aligned left, ie a doctype or any way of it supporting margin: 0 auto?

My friend I have the same issues lol IE is not keeping up with the more modern browsers such as Google Chrome and Firefox. The thing is, thousands of people still use IE. Soon enough this browser will fall out of the mix because of the new browser. I hate IE lol its way to slow and it doesn't support css3 at all. I choose to turn my cheek on it and not worry about it. Ill get my customers from Firefox and chrome. Even when my doctype is set correctly my designs still stay pinched against the left in IE. Its useless is all I am sayin...
    Fireproofgfx likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    They're all flawed on some level. Chrome handles Flash horribly on a lot of PCs (although in their defense, Flash is bloated and all but useless outside of YouTube), I've seen Firefox screw up handling of server-side code in the past (still haven't figured out how they botched code they can't even see, but they did it), I've seen IE handle things as intended that no one else has, and I've seen IE botch them to the point of illegibility.

The other thing that most people don't realize is that W3 specs are like most laws...somewhat vague and subject to interpretation. So when you code something "correctly" in one browser and another doesn't interpret it the same way, that's not necessarily "wrong" as much as it is the developers' take on something that isn't clear.

IE was also the first browser to, on some level, introduce alpha transparency and gradients. They did it using a proprietary filter, but they did get there years ahead of everyone else.

Keep in mind that I use Chrome and I dropped IE because of their insistence on anti-aliasing text that didn't need it starting with IE9, which actually makes it much harder to read. So I have no real love for IE. But there isn't a browser as of this moment that can say "we're the greatest, no one can take us on, we are masters of the universe." Besides, whether we hate browsers or like them ultimately doesn't mean squat...after all, if a browser has "98% market share", the maker of the browser gets exactly $0.00.
    Jared_N89 likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 251777, member: 428
    They're all flawed on some level. Chrome handles Flash horribly on a lot of PCs (although in their defense, Flash is bloated and all but useless outside of YouTube), I've seen Firefox screw up handling of server-side code in the past (still haven't figured out how they botched code they can't even see, but they did it), I've seen IE handle things as intended that no one else has, and I've seen IE botch them to the point of illegibility.

The other thing that most people don't realize is that W3 specs are like most laws...somewhat vague and subject to interpretation. So when you code something "correctly" in one browser and another doesn't interpret it the same way, that's not necessarily "wrong" as much as it is the developers' take on something that isn't clear.

IE was also the first browser to, on some level, introduce alpha transparency and gradients. They did it using a proprietary filter, but they did get there years ahead of everyone else.

Keep in mind that I use Chrome and I dropped IE because of their insistence on anti-aliasing text that didn't need it starting with IE9, which actually makes it much harder to read. So I have no real love for IE. But there isn't a browser as of this moment that can say "we're the greatest, no one can take us on, we are masters of the universe." Besides, whether we hate browsers or like them ultimately doesn't mean squat...after all, if a browser has "98% market share", the maker of the browser gets exactly $0.00.

Well I must say I did not understand what I was saying when it came with IE, lol man I gave up trying to figure out why my design was not the same on IE. It was destoryed, but surely enough I went to the wiki site you suggested and found that right doctype you explained an boom just like that the site was pushed back to almost perfect even within IE. Radius was good for all rounded corners. The margins and padding were automatically corrected. I amend your help...
    Fireproofgfx likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    ...and that's how you learn! Trust me, you're not the only one who's done that. I have no great love for IE, but it does get blamed quite a bit for things that aren't its fault.
    Webzarus and Jared_N89 like this.

Remove Ads