Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi!

I have created my first website which i was ready to publish but after double-checking the site i have sadly noticed that the page Logo renders differently in the major 3 browsers (IE/Chrome/Firefox).
    here is the code:

HTML:

div id="logo">
    <h1>
    <a href="index.html">BIRDSPECIALIZED</a>
    </h1>
    </div>

CSS:

#logo {
    width:100%;
    display:block;
    background: url('../img/Logo/logoBG.png') repeat-x;
    }

#logo h1 a {
    font:.9em 'Lucida Sans Unicode', Helvetica, sans-serif;
    letter-spacing:.02em;
    width:310px;
    height:102px;
    display:block;
    border:3px solid #fff;
    text-align:center;
    margin-bottom:.5em;
    color:#fff;
    padding-top:20px;
    background: #55A603 url('../img/Logo/BSLogo.png') 50% 90% no-repeat;
    border-radius: 8em/3em;
    -moz-border-radius: 8em/3em;
    -webkit-border-radius: 8em/3em;
    }

In Chrome it looks beautiful but in IE even the font look ugly and bigger than in chrome!
    The border radius is rendered different as well in IE and Firefox.I have checked the browser support for border-radius and it should be fine!
    Can You please drop me a line if You have any suggestion?
    Thank You

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You can't control font sizes. They're relative. So if one looks bigger in one browser than another, or even in the same browser on someone else's computer...that's just the way it is. Users have the right to set their text sizes as they see fit.

I usually find that percentages perform more consistently than ems when it comes to text. So I set mine at say 90%/80%/whatever. That's not going to give you exactly what you want, but it should get you closer.

As far as your border-radius is concerned, older versions of IE don't handle border-radius natively, and you usually need something like html5shiv or CSS3PIE to make that happen (IE8 and older). If you've done that, again it may be that em isn't a good measure for border-radius (haven't tried it myself). Try setting it in terms of pixels and see if it performs consistently. If it does, then your problem is your unit of measure. If not, it's something else...in which case, upload your site anyway and give us a link to it so we can see it.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I usually find that percentages perform more consistently than ems when it comes to text. So I set mine at say 90%/80%/whatever. That's not going to give you exactly what you want, but it should get you closer.

As far as your border-radius is concerned, older versions of IE don't handle border-radius natively, and you usually need something like html5shiv or CSS3PIE to make that happen (IE8 and older). If you've done that, again it may be that em isn't a good measure for border-radius (haven't tried it myself). Try setting it in terms of pixels and see if it performs consistently. If it does, then your problem is your unit of measure. If not, it's something else...in which case, upload your site anyway and give us a link to it so we can see it.
    Thanks for the quick reply, actually i have changed ems to percentage and it works ok!about text sizes i am aware, but this border radius gave me a headache!

I am done with the site now,after i published i will show it as this is my first ever and wondering what others think!

I am thinking of taking Bluehost's reseller account for $19.99 per month as i was asked to host the site myself as well!Any experince with Bluehost and reselling account?

Thanks again and sorry for the late respond!

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    19.95 a month is a lot - you say this is your first site - do you really need a reseller account? Are you going to sell enough hosting to offset your own costs, let alone make any money?

Unless you're ready to start (re) selling hosting, you may want to think about a much less expensive shared hosting account. I have never used Bluehost but I do know Hostmonster (where i host my sites and most of my clients' sites) is having a promotion right now for $3.95 a month. I know TheGame has a host he has used for years and really likes - Sectorlink is the name I believe.

Do some research for yourself, I think you'll find that paying for a reseller account when just starting out might not be the best way to go.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    IE always displays borders differently compared to other browsers. regarding the font appearance - try specifying a font-size, font-weight..... for each particular element and see if that solves the issue in IE. i've encountered it before while using compatibility mode!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare, post: 251400, member: 20289
    19.95 a month is a lot - you say this is your first site - do you really need a reseller account? Are you going to sell enough hosting to offset your own costs, let alone make any money?

Unless you're ready to start (re) selling hosting, you may want to think about a much less expensive shared hosting account. I have never used Bluehost but I do know Hostmonster (where i host my sites and most of my clients' sites) is having a promotion right now for $3.95 a month. I know TheGame has a host he has used for years and really likes - Sectorlink is the name I believe.

Do some research for yourself, I think you'll find that paying for a reseller account when just starting out might not be the best way to go.
    Yes, i am charging 15.00 per month for hosting the website which includes an agreement as if a minor change has to be made for the page i will do it for no extra cost!
    I thought providing extra services is compelling for clients (domain name,hosting,email services,minor updates on site).

BTW i liked your sites, this is exactly something i am trying to do: simple,easy navigation,high contrast, few images. How long have You been doing web design?

Member #
    here we go!finally my first ever created web site is live: http://www.birdspecialized.com/

I have created this just by using notepad++,coding manually!

I really would like to hear some of Your conclusions, bad oppinions mainly as i am looking to improve it!
    Also the contact form is not ready yet because i am just trying to learn PHP but is really hard!
    Anyone can help me with that?

Thanks a lot!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Why would anyone hate this? It's simple, but it does the job. If anything, it lacks in content and the name is weird, but those are both fixable things. So why would I have a bad opinion of this?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 251526, member: 428
    Why would anyone hate this? It's simple, but it does the job. If anything, it lacks in content and the name is weird, but those are both fixable things. So why would I have a bad opinion of this?

Yeah,name is lame,but that is what i was given to do!Content will increase in the next few weeks!
    Thank You very much! It is very simple but i have put so much effort into it, so obviously just want it to be perfect,also i was really frustrated as i thought creating a functional website is easy but it is really hard for the first time!I thought i knew every bits but had to do a lot of researches.

I only know CSS/HTML/bit of Javascript so i really need to get into some server side scripting (PHP?)
    How did You guys do it?i mean Do You just design the user interface and outsource the programming or You do the programming Yourself?

I am really so greatful for All Your quick responds!Thanks a lot!

Remove Ads