Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Webzarus

Thread: General Workflow for building a Website?

Member #

General Workflow for building a Website?

Hello,

I am new here but i have some basic knowledge of HTML, CSS and very good knowledge of linux. So, I want to start building a website for my own work. My question is: What is the general workflow to achieve this?

For example, first i have to have an idea of how i want it, then i will have to start coding in HTML and CSS. Right? After that i do not know exactly what i should do. I hear a lot about PHP and i understand the basic idea but i do not know where exactly it comes in the website building procedure. Also, i know about CMS. How do we connect those things all together in the website? is CMS affecting HTML coding or PHP? Finally, i am able to upload the code in my server??

I am little bit confused, so any suggestion is acceptable!

zabrielza

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    HTML & CSS and a few other things can be used to create a web site.

php is a server side scritping language and like other server side languages it can be used to do many things that you cannot do with just html by itself, like pull data from a database, it can be used to create "included", for example... You build all the different but "common" sections of the site like header, footer, navigation ... Etc... Then as you're building the site, you just "include" these sections into the appropriate places within the page...

this helps with updating a site, as if you need to change the header of footer... All you need to do is update the 1 file, upload it to the server, any page that calls the include automatically shows the changes.

depending on the flavor and version of Linux you use, the process of setting up the site as well as the FTP service is different, you should be able to find tutorials for those things fairly easily....

as for process flow... There's no "hard and fast" rules or flow, because each site and technology you mentioned is different.

a CMS is a "content management system" is typically a framework that either uses a DB to store the content, settings, or all of Thea is stores outside the "framework" of the site... Its typically used to seperate the design layer from the content layer ( theoretically speaking )... Most CMS's use some sort of server side scritping language to pull data a design from "themes" and present them as a page... To visitors.

so.... First you have to decide what you want.... Then the answers can be more specific
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Thank you for the answer!, Let us say i want to build a website with floating menus that randomly move on the screen a background slideshow in the first page and when we enter in the website the content will be pages like a portfolio, an e-shop for only one type of products and a contact- about us page. I certainly want very easy content updating and i do not know how to achieve this. Let us asume i have the html code and the css sheet. What's next? PHP server side coding? And after that the CMS and how all this is stored in the server? Will i have to upload a .html file , a .css file, a .php file and will the website will be ready for visitors?

For what you said about CMS, so my website should be empty before someone adds content with CMS? Which CMS is suitable for my needs? I want it easy and powerful and not affecting my design.

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Ok... Sorry, about the only thing I can say at this point without going negative, please spend some time researching and learning about the different technologies mentioned here.

my explanations of them were about as generic as possible, but you're not getting it.

if you take some time to understand them, I think you'll be much better off than me just trying to re-state what I've already said, and once you understand, you'll probably know what you need and want to do.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    WZ is right...this is not the kind of question that's suited for a forum, no matter how you try to reword it.

Your problem is that there isn't really a "general workflow", as you'd put it, for what you're trying to build. Every site has different rules, every site has a different target market, every site has different features, every site has different...you get the idea.

As far as a "CMS" goes, I don't recommend any of them as I think they're all bloated garbage (and I come from a time where whatever the "CMS" was, you had to build it yourself). What I would suggest to you is to figure out every need associated with your site, both present and future (as much as you can), and then do the research WZ suggested to find the CMS that works for you.

Unfortunately, you're not going to get a better answer than that because the answer you need has to be tailored to you.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Ok thank you guys, i will come up soon. I did not try to skip researching and be "the clever" guy who tries to get ready-made solutions.

I am already learning PHP. Maybe you could tell me if PHP learning is going to give me answers for all those questions?
    Last edited by zabrielza; Jul 12th, 2013 at 02:10 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Since most of the CMSes are based on PHP, then yes, it's a good thing to learn. Will it give you the answers to the questions you have? It might. It might not. It should answer some, it may not answer some, it may even bring some more up.

There's no harm in learning PHP, though.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Banned
    Member #
    When you are going to develop then first you need to learn language in which you want to develop that website than start you work. If you want to learn any language when you can visit w3schools.com it can help you more.

Remove Ads