Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Starting with databases or html coding?

Hello,

I have done lot of research last week. I completed the php learning at codecademy and i feel very confident. I now know what i want exactly for my website. Well, what i want is

• home page with a fullscreen slideshow

• every time someone visits thes website, it picks up randomly 8-10 projects from a number of projects stored in a database!?

• After that, arrows to navigate through those fullscreen images of the 8-10 projects.

So my question is, where to start? From storing all the projects in a database then PHP coding for picking randomly projects and then HTML and CSS coding?

Thank you!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Good that you're doing research, but let me ask. How are you gonna put the project data INTO the DB ?

when people see and read about using a DB to store for use on a web site, many dont think of how its going into it.

Personally, I build the backend to put the data IN first, in most cases, while I'm building that I come across other things that I think will make the site work better or more efficiently.

this will also give you some hands on experience in building out your skills before working on something that others will using.

might just me me though

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus View Post
    Good that you're doing research, but let me ask. How are you gonna put the project data INTO the DB ?

when people see and read about using a DB to store for use on a web site, many dont think of how its going into it.

Personally, I build the backend to put the data IN first, in most cases, while I'm building that I come across other things that I think will make the site work better or more efficiently.

this will also give you some hands on experience in building out your skills before working on something that others will using.

might just me me though
    I hope my question is not silly but this backend you mention, is a type of CMS? So , if that is true, you say you are starting with CMS?

As for your question, i suppose i should not answer just with mySQL right? But i think that is the way. Do you mean what will be the way/method to store data in database? What is the basic plan/idea to store data and how to organise it? If this is the question then i suppose the backend and the frontent of a website are very connected and one has effect on other.

For example, in my case, i think that every project will be organised in a table/array( in php!?! , maybe multidimensional array). This project will have photos, a X number of photos. So, to pick randomly 8 projects, I will use php to take the first random number lets us say Y and then find the random number from the table - Y etc. After that i suppose i will have buttons in the screento navigate through those 8 photos.

Am i right at all?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    In my experience, the back end needs to be done first, unless of course you are extremely knowledgeable about SQL and populating a database table with data using myPhpAdmin and SQL statements.

if you don't know SQL very well, then you will need an interface to put the data in and manage it.

yes, you can do the random thing, but you've got to have actual data in the DB just to test and build with... Everything you've said you want to do is completely doable, and depending on your skills and experince, it could take a day or several months...

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I look at it in a similar fashion to WZ. I build the backend first, make sure the queries work...since phpMyAdmin can run the queries for you, you can test them there, get them working, and then copy them to your PHP script.

Like he said, random testing is possible, but you're going to need data, and at least enough rows of data to reasonably test the random retrieval of a row of information from it. If you only have a couple of rows, you're not likely to see significant random behavior, but if you have at least 10 rows, random retrieval is pretty easy.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    In my experience, the back end needs to be done first, unless of course you are extremely knowledgeable about SQL and populating a database table with data using myPhpAdmin and SQL statements.

if you don't know SQL very well, then you will need an interface to put the data in and manage it.

yes, you can do the random thing, but you've got to have actual data in the DB just to test and build with... Everything you've said you want to do is completely doable, and depending on your skills and experince, it could take a day or several months...
    This interface you mention is the ready made CMS? I do not know SQL and if i can save some time so that the website can be readyit would be great. What alternatives do i have?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    I look at it in a similar fashion to WZ. I build the backend first, make sure the queries work...since phpMyAdmin can run the queries for you, you can test them there, get them working, and then copy them to your PHP script.

Like he said, random testing is possible, but you're going to need data, and at least enough rows of data to reasonably test the random retrieval of a row of information from it. If you only have a couple of rows, you're not likely to see significant random behavior, but if you have at least 10 rows, random retrieval is pretty easy.
    I have the data, but i do not have the database ready. How difficult is to store the data in a table? Is this table suitable for my needs?

Member #
    Actually, i just have started learning SQL in the w3schools. I have to say that i am very interested in it. For now this is fairly easy. Of course in next chapters the difficulty will be a bit more.

A question is, after learning SQL and all this, If i want to have english and other languages do i have to have several databases for each language?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    A CMS is a generic term for a "content management system", which could be just about anything, a blog, a news system, .... That someone else's already built. All CMS's include a backend for entering data, editing data, deleting data... And a front end that only allows users to view the data... It also normally includeds some type of login system to secure the backend so only you or a limited few people from entering data ( this is just a very simplistic example )...

What your question was and what we have answered.

1. Build a backend to allow you to enter the project data, you will be using PHP, HTML, CSS ( if you choose to ), and a few SQL statements in the PHP.

once you have some or most of your data in the DB

2. Build a front end to display your data to your visitors. You will use HTML, PHP ( to pull your data), CSS to style the pages...

before you start any of it, you will need to use myPhpAdmin to "define your table" on the DB, telling it what kind of fields are in the DB and how many columns are in each row. Then when you're doing # 1, you'll be able to use the backend to put the data into the DB.

sound confusing ? If it does, you will need to do more research as this is about as simple an explanation as can be given in a forum.

Member #
    A CMS is a generic term for a "content management system", which could be just about anything, a blog, a news system, .... That someone else's already built. All CMS's include a backend for entering data, editing data, deleting data... And a front end that only allows users to view the data... It also normally includeds some type of login system to secure the backend so only you or a limited few people from entering data ( this is just a very simplistic example )...

What your question was and what we have answered.

1. Build a backend to allow you to enter the project data, you will be using PHP, HTML, CSS ( if you choose to ), and a few SQL statements in the PHP.

once you have some or most of your data in the DB

2. Build a front end to display your data to your visitors. You will use HTML, PHP ( to pull your data), CSS to style the pages...

before you start any of it, you will need to use myPhpAdmin to "define your table" on the DB, telling it what kind of fields are in the DB and how many columns are in each row. Then when you're doing # 1, you'll be able to use the backend to put the data into the DB.

sound confusing ? If it does, you will need to do more research as this is about as simple an explanation as can be given in a forum.
    Thank you very much for this answer and i am sorry for the off topic language question.

No sounds very clear. BUT certainly i will have to do more research. I will come up with more questions maybe..!

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads